Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Supernova in M51

Stephen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just goes to show that you should always check your DSO images to see if there are any supernovae. How many people must have imaged a popular galaxy like M51 recently and missed it?

Another image of it here from Antelope Hills Observatory:

PSNJ13303600+4706330final.jpg

I had a quick go on M51 to test some settings, 4 of the 5 subs were un-usable, but from the one that wasn't completely smeared I managed to do some tweaking. My processing is ham-fisted but if anyone would like the RAW image (and dark frame) let me know.

It was a single 60 second image, ISO 1600, unguided, Canon 1000D, C11.

(These are small JPEGs)

http://brimptonobservatory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/m51-110602small.jpg

http://brimptonobservatory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/m51-110602invertedsmall.jpg

and my associated blog post about it:

Breaking News: I only went and imaged a supernova last night! brimptonobservatory

I just got an email for S&T and this was the top story, just checked on here to see if it has been reported. I wonder if it will get any brighter than it's current mag 14 and be in range of my 8" dob (mag 13 and higher)?

Still far too light to see anything remotely close to mag 13. I can only just make out M51 in the dob as a very faint smudge against the rather light background sky. I hope it gets darker then it is now although seeing as it is midnight now it might not be possible :)

I've only got my 5" SCT out tonight because it's so windy here. I can see M51 OK as a pair of smudges with condensed centres but I don't reckon I can get stars below mag 11 at the moment with this scope.

I am managing about magnitude 12 stars ATM, there is a pair stars of that brightness near to M51 that I can just about make out and also appear in wikisky with that value. I need to get to see stars 2.5x fainter at least to have any chance of seeing the SN.

Archived