Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperion 17mm e/p quizzle ?

Guys,

Took my new Hyp 17mm e/p to my brothers to see what it can do with his "new" 200mm F/6 dob.

Well, it couldnot reach focus. Had to draw the eye piece out a touch by hand to focus ??

Any ideas ?

Cheers .... Eddie

Has your brother's scope been modified in any way, eg: had the primary mirror moved up the tube a bit to enable another device, like a dlsr, to focus ?. Or perhaps it has a low profile focuser fitted ?.

In a standard Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian I don't think there should be any problems bringing the 17mm Hyperion to focus.

Ah,

Never thought of adding the 1.25" adaptor for extra focal plain.

Scope has not been modded in any way as far as I can tell.

I'll have to wait until my scope arrives next weekend, and if none focusing in the 300P then I'll contact FLO.

Cheers for the speedy reply guys.

Eddie

The 17mm is really a 1.25" ep. The removeable element is a smythe lens, which is a combined field corrector and barlow. Obviously with the smythe removed you get a longer focal length but you also lose the field correction.

Ah,

Never thought of adding the 1.25" adaptor for extra focal plain.

As the others have said, there is your answer plus the eyepiece won't be a 17mm without the lower lens set - which is in the 1.25" barrel assembly !.

Cheers all,

Yes I realised the lens element in the 1.25" nose piece.

But I thought it was a 2" eye piece, so I removed the element and tried it in the 2" adaptor. It was millimetres away from focus.

Thanks for clearing the quibble up. Now I know :)

Eddie

Archived