Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom First light.

jana

Just had a quick half hour outside to try out the new Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece, first impressions are very nice, 10 steps up in quality from what I already had. Nice crisp views of Saturn all the way from 24mm to 8mm, clickstop nice and gentle too. Tried to Barlow at 8mm but seems like to much glass in the way then so not good, just means I'm gonna have to get me a nice 4mm one.

Overall a good quality ep for the money, and ideal for someone like myself, a newbie!

Can't wait to get some more quality ep's and a better scope for them to go in.

Hi Jana, I have one of these and they are pretty good. I think they are pretty useful to a new person in demonstrating how much light is lost as you increase the magnification and of course, not just at the stops but through each change as well. The darkness being formed as a result of you attempting to stretch a fixed amount of light as you magnify the image, essentially getting the light to do more. You might find for example on an object like M57 (ring nebula in Lyra) that magnifying (darkening) the image can reveal different details that you might not have seen using a widefield eyepiece.

Hope you continue to enjoy this really useful bit of kit which isn't that cheap but certainly a lot cheaper that a few other zooms out there whilst not compromising proportionately in performance.

Clear skies

James

Tried to Barlow at 8mm but seems like to much glass in the way then so not good, just means I'm gonna have to get me a nice 4mm one.

Is it possible that a 4mm is producing too much magnification perhaps,

and a fixed 4mm EP would give similar results ?

You could try barlowing the zoom, but come back from the maximum

to give 7/6/5mm equivalent. Sometimes a bit lower power gives

a better & sharper view.

Not trying to interfere, just maybe save you some money :)

Regards, Ed.

I did go through the full rangewhilst in the barlow and from 24mm to12mm were ok but then I compared it to my 10mm that was a standard issue with the scope in barlow and image was alot crisper. This is why I thought it may have been the limit of the zoom in the barlow was at about 12mm ( to give 6mm i belive ).

Dont worry the wife wont let me spend too much so have been told no more purchases for a while, although I am going to start saving my bonus money each month so I can afford a nice scope later in the year. Would be nice to sneak in one or two more decent ep's ready for when I get it.

Archived