Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

De-folked SCT

Hello,

I received my ADM bar from FLO today so decided to de-fork the SCT and put it on the EQ6, first impressions are its very solid.... however for some reason i think it will be back on the forks before i know it, still the dovetail is useful for balancing.

just thought i would share :)

post-19390-133877611985_thumb.jpg

post-19390-133877611994_thumb.jpg

Hi. Very interesting photos Colin. You replied to my post last week re de forking a LX90 and popping onto an EQ6. I have the tripod but no mount as yet.

Looks very good. How tricky is it to carry without the forks. I am seeing myself dropping the OTA as I try to manhandle it into position to tighten up the dovetail.

Why the move back to the forks may I ask ??

Food for thought tho.

John

Hello,

Its the 10" LX90 OTA, it does sit well on the EQ6 but i felt that i would be more likely to use it on the forks, with the forks i can carry the entire setup out in one hit then go back for the eyepeices and powertank, then once i observe the eyepeice seems to be in a nice position.

with the eq i had to do atleast 4 trips and also needed to extend the eq6 legs.

So i have put it back on the forks for now. i think its useful to have the bar as it means i can take it to star partys and use it on the eq6 to save space taking two mounts.

i was planning observing but its just not dark enough :)

Hello,

Its the 10" LX90 OTA, it does sit well on the EQ6 but i felt that i would be more likely to use it on the forks, with the forks i can carry the entire setup out in one hit then go back for the eyepeices and powertank, then once i observe the eyepeice seems to be in a nice position.

with the eq i had to do atleast 4 trips and also needed to extend the eq6 legs.

So i have put it back on the forks for now. i think its useful to have the bar as it means i can take it to star partys and use it on the eq6 to save space taking two mounts.

i was planning observing but its just not dark enough :(

It's never clear cut is it. Have you thought about a heavy duty Giro? Have the stability of the EQ6 but the ease of the forks. But without the fork wobbles and the EQ6 awkwardness. But off course you won't have tracking. :)

I found using the 10" Lx200 on a HD tripod as Alt-Az, was pretty easy to lift and use, but the lack of good tracking pained me. The first option of adding a wedge worked for a while but I found the lift onto the wedge to be very difficult and awkward.

I then pulled the OTA and mounted it on the NEQ6 - Majic!!

They worked very well together.....

Archived