SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Taking Pictures

Hi All,

I've really got into the idea of taking pictures through my scope. As you may well know my current method involves holding a camera against the EP and taking a shot.

I'm really pleased with the images I've taken so far, but I'm really thinking I'd like getting some higher magnification shots and I think this will prove very difficult with my current method!

Trouble is I have absolutely no idea where to start!!!

I've read webcams are a good idea but am totally unsure. In all honesty my passions are the moon and the planets so it'll be those I'm snapping through my 5" refractor.

Any help, will as always be much appreciated.

Spud

Well Spud if its the moon and the planets you are after then the webcam method is for you.

For a couple of reasons-

(1) Ease of use Very easy to use

(2) cost of setup Costs about £50-£60 for the cam and about £15 for the adapter £30 for the IR blocking filter- (not essential but recommended)

(3) quality of your images. Most of the lunar/planetary images you see today are taken using this type of camera.

I have what is known as the best type of webcam to get for this type of imaging ( TouCam Pro II )

I would recommend it as a good lunar/planetary imager.

If this is the road you decide to go then we can talk more about the details/ins and outs.

I will show you at the star party just what i am on about.

And James will be giving a demo on how exactly to achieve results at the SP!!

The only other thing to point out is the need for a laptop - may seem obvious, but just thought I should mention. You don't need anything majorly powerful to capture the images, although disk space may be an issue. You may need a PC indoors to actually process the images once captured, but of course, this depends on your budget!

:clouds1:

As the chaps have said a WEBCAM is the best thing to get by a mile for lunar and planetry imaging.

I am going to present a Guide in the Learning Zone soon showing everyone how to use the Webcam or at least how i use it for my images.

At the SP i will be showing anyone thats interested how to do this first hand and if you like 1 on 1 teaching through out the course of the 2 days there. The aim is for anyone not sure how to get images with webcams will walk away from the SP knowing what to do in there future imaging. A small fee for my services is a simple Thank You :clouds1:.

James :clouds1:

Daz, it's my pleasure to help people out matey think nothing of it, much like your offer of taking me to the Star Party for which i am very greatfull and Jamie's offer of a lift back just makes one feel wanted and so forth.. Thanks Guys..

Now nearly as important as getting your webcam images is the processing of them thats something i will cover too.

A couple of questions!

I am getting a Tucam Pro 2 for Crimbo - do you guys think that this is ok or would you recommend something else?

Is it any good for deep sky stuff - Nebula's in particular?

Thanks

Greg

The Toucam Pro 2 will be excellent for the Moon and Planets you cant really do DSO imaging with it though. What you could do is however get it modified so it can take long time exposures if you choose this i can put you onto a guy that does an excellent job of this?..

James

i think will give this webcam thing a try at some stage.

I am doing the same thing as spud when it comes to images. Had some success with it as you saw.

Trouble is as you up up a mag, the aperture of the eyepiece makes it harder/impossible.

I think by and large EP photography is better than nothing, but is limted.

Now what i have been trying to do is use the movie eyepiece i have got. Tried last ight briefly to stream it into a DVD Recordable and record it as i tottered. Phonocable was not long enough. Its a trip to maplin i think to get an extension lead for that.

Will keep you posted if it works!

I have had some success getting it onto a TV albeit the image was not A1. And i had no way of recording it :-(

The point spud is there is more than one way to skin a rabbit, if you pardon the pun. Being an IT engineer it means i try anything once. usually when the wife is out though lol

other half is off to malaysia at end of the month, and i am rather hoping she is going to bring a new one (laptop) back with her.

If i get this, i will prob get the webcam then.

but does anyone know if there one out there sensitive enough for deep sky objects?

Al

but does anyone know if there one out there sensitive enough for deep sky objects?

You can get pre modified camera's that allow for long exposures and higher senitivty from Bern at http://www.modernastronomy.com/cameras.html give him a call and he will sort you out no problems good man is Bern..

The Atik camera's are popular choices as you may see from Rog's deep sky images there capable of some amazing results. Also on offer an video cameras that are extremly senstive like the Mintron camera this camera doesnt allow for really long exposures i think it's 2.5 secs but is powerfull more of a viewing aid than imager though, the watec camera is the best of these breads of cameras..

But if it's planets and moon then the Toucam is the choice to make.

• 11 months later...

Well Spud if its the moon and the planets you are after then the webcam method is for you.

For a couple of reasons-

EDIT:

(1) Ease of use Very easy to use

(2) cost of setup Costs about £50-£60 for the cam and about £15 for the adapter £30 for the IR blocking filter- (not essential but recommended) And £300 for the laptop. :D :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

(3) quality of your images. Most of the lunar/planetary images you see today are taken using this type of camera.

I have what is known as the best type of webcam to get for this type of imaging ( TouCam Pro II )

I would recommend it as a good lunar/planetary imager.

If this is the road you decide to go then we can talk more about the details/ins and outs.

I will show you at the star party just what i am on about.

Archived