Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginners DSLR

inksmithy

Just an aside_ I think it was Photosbykev that pointed out to me a while back that the additional Mp in cams like the 550and 60/600 mean that you'll probably need to have a very powerful PC with shed loads of RAM to process x no. of lights /darks and flats each running at what 15Mp ?? I think he said he had 64Gb RAM ( tho he is a photo professional) but it is worth remembering . DSS can be slow as it is- so 64bit processing and large RAM me thinks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's kind of my thinking as well. In all honesty, I'm unlikely to be doing much more than basic processing as a beginner.

Not to mention that in reality, anything over 6mp is past what would have been considered amateur resolution in wet film photography.

I don't think I'm an old git at 39, but I do remember photography class at high school in Australia, crowding into the dark room and developing the photos we had taken the day before.

Tech has changed a bit since then.

Alan

I very recently got a Canon 1000D and I fully recommend it if you are a beginner. On ebay the Canon Outlet and another seller sell quite a few refurbished 1000D's with 18-55mm kit lens some with IS some without. Normally I saw these go for around £260-£280 area and they come with new accessories. If you plan on using it for daytime use aswell as astro the IS can come in quite handy.

I managed to buy mine as buy it now listed "As-new" for £250 with a normal 18-55mm lens. When I recieved it the shutter count was at 4 and majority of the accessories had not even been opened. It also came with a free SD card too :) There are good deals out there you just gotta be a bit patient :(

It is worth keeping an eye on the pixel size in these cameras. The 550D, for instance, has only 4.3um pixels. If you are imaging with long focal lengths of ~1m or more then this gives sub-arcsecond pixels on the sky, which is maybe a little small for the sort of seeing we get in this country. The 1100D has somewhat larger pixels (and I think the 1000D was slightly larger still).

NigelM

I just picked up a 450D, it was going at the right time as before I saw the listing I was really considering the 500D but this was half the price so it made my mind up for me.

I hope it was the right choice.

I am thinking of getting into DSLR based astrophotography this winter but have noticed that the 1000D is out of production now and will be alot harder to get in a few months. I have noticed from a few posts that the replacement 1100D does not have the Mirror Lockup feature, does this matter, or would using the self-timer mean that Mirror Lockup is not really needed.

If it is considered that Mirror Lockup is a must-have feature I will have to bring forward my purchase and get hold of a 1000D.

It is my understanding that using Mirror Lockup means 2 presses of the shutter release, so if using a remote timer shutter release, 2 timed presses will give 1 total exposure. Does this mean that if the remote timer is setup with a 30 second long exposure and a 5 second delay with Mirror Lockup enabled, there will be 35 seconds with the Mirror Lock'ed-up before the 30 seconds of actual exposure ?

It is also mine understanding that not using Mirror Lockup and using the self-timer instead will mean I need to add the self-timer delay to the remote timer long exposure time to get the correct long exposure time. Does this mean if I want a 30 second exposure and I have set the self-timer to 5 seconds I will actually need to set the remote timer long exposure time to 35 seconds ?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, just thought my questions might be relevant.

Drew

I have never used it personally when astro imaging... but my scopes are on substatial fixed pier in and obs...Mirror lockup is useful on less substantially mounted systems...

The self timer trick wont make any difference with the 1100D it only works if the camera supports mirror lockup.. you use the method you mentioned adding the self timer time to the total exposure time... with this method the self timer lifts the mirror and the timer remote opens and closes the shutter...

Psychobilly, thanks for that. So, basically to avoid any mirror shake I need to get a Canon camera that does have Mirror Lockup to use either of my mentioned methods. That rules out the 1100D then.

For long exposures I never bother with the mirror lockup. when it's on the scope the shutter only produces the tiniest amount of shake and settles down very quickly so for say a 5 minute exposure it really isn't necessary.

The only time I've used it was for short exposures of the moon where it did make a difference.

If you do get one would be good to know how you get on with it Psychobilly. The 450D does sound like a good bet as you say, but for me it was whether to try and get a DSLR now (while there are some 1000D's to be had) or just wait until nearer which is when I was going to get one anyway.

I hear what you're saying Sparrow and that makes perfect sense, but if I am starting out in DSLR Astrophotography then I am likely to be using the Moon as a subject aswell.

Or I could just delay the whole decision and get a 550D or 600D, do you think these will be a good alternative (even though the pixel size might be too small) ?

Decisions, decisions ...

I understand your sentiments AC97 - the moon is a fantastic target and as much as I love my deep sky work, the moon always presents a tempting target.

However, although I have imaged it with the DSLR, for the moon I much prefer the results I get using the Meade LPI which of course is dedicated to the job. Not even sure if the LPI's are still available but the same thing can be acheived with a simply modded webcam. Have a look in my albums at the moon pictures. I think there's one taken witht he DSLR in this years album and some taken with the LPI in the previous year's album.

For this reason I personally wouldn't worry about the lack of mirror lockup on the 1100 (does defeat me as to why they've removed the feature) and get myself a webcam to image the moon. - Obviously this is just my opinion.

Thing I'm thinking ac79, is if you hold out for an incremental improvement on anything you buy, whether its a camera, computer or telescope, there is a danger you will find yourself constantly holding out and never actually getting anything.

I think the trick is to establish your level and find the version which matches or slightly exceeds your ability. That way you have room to grow into it.

Personally, while I have some half remembered theory from high school, I'm prepared to call myself a complete newbie to digital photography at any level greater than a mobile phone camera.

I reckon a 450D, 1000D or 1100 will do just nicely for me.

Alan

I do agree, that if I wait for the next improvement I'll wait forever. It was just I was not plannig on getting a DSLR until the winter and if the 1000D was for me maybe I should not wait.

I'll just have to see how the pennies stack up and go from there, but it does sound like I shouldn't get hung up on Mirror Lock and if I want to image the Moon go another route.

Archived