SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade 10" SCT on LX50 - What to do with it?

Just been given a Meade 10" SCT on the LX50 mount, but unsure what I should do with it! :) I've been using my 8" newt for some years and love it and will not be parting with it as I've just spent £300 putting it on an EQ5 mount. But I can't justify having both scopes sitting around so need to appear that it's useful.

I know it's the summer so dark skies are not forthcoming but would like to use it for something. It doesn't have a go-to like the LX200 but is motorised (can it be upgraded)? The scope is complete with tripod and superwedge so it's all ready to go, even has it's original box, though I'm goign to make a wooden box for it for garage storage.

My ultimate plan is to have a pulsar dome with my 8" newt but until then I'm just parking it/them on the lawn when in use.

Could I use the SCT for solar observation? Is it too powerful for this? Would it be quicker to take out and set-up than the newt? I need to practice with the EQ5 as the setting rings are a bit funny ATM.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Steve.

• 2 months later...

Archived