Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telecscopes on AC/DC Power.

Does anybody run their scopes using the AC power outlet at home with a simple AC/DC power adaptor? I know one has to be extra cautious when using AC with regard to dew and water but where can I get one here in the UK for my Celestron C6-RGT? I have seen this adaptor on a US website and I need something like this, with a UK three pin plug, (see link below). Would a shop like Maplins sell an AC/DC adaptor for my needs? Lastly, should I go for a 12V or 13.8V for the motorised mount? Does it have to be exactly be 2.5 amps or can I go over?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Celestron AC Adapter for Computerized Telescopes - 18778 - OPT Telescopes

you should buy a power tank for £55 there so much easier i use to use a ac/dc at home from the mains but with the extension lead too many cables but bit the bullet and bout a power tank dont know how i coped without one but i use to use this 12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : 12V Car Accessory Power Supplies : Maplin just built a perspex housing for it

Good advice from Melibum. I would add (being stingy) that car start/charge units are often cheaper and contain a battery that is plenty big enough to run the scope and other kit for the night. It might even come in handy for the car. Or if the 'other half' complains about your astro spend, put it down as a motoring expense!

Thanks Kevin. That could be just what I'm looking for. By the way, I noticed in the description in the link you provided that it's rated at 5 amps. The celestron one in my link (above), says their one is 2.5 amps. Can extra amps hurt the equipment or is it only if the voltage is excessive, i.e, more than 12/13 volts?

Thanks.

Ann.

you should buy a power tank for £55 there so much easier i use to use a ac/dc at home from the mains but with the extension lead too many cables but bit the bullet and bout a power tank dont know how i coped without one but i use to use this 12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : 12V Car Accessory Power Supplies : Maplin just built a perspex housing for it

I have a Celestron power tank but it doesn't charge properly. I'ts only a couple of years old.

Ann.

With batteries you need to use them regularly or they will be wrecked - the cheap ones can also have these issues - regular use solves this though.

With a power supply the scope will only draw the current it needs - so even if the power supply is rated at 5 amps it wont draw that. Initially I got a 2A one from maplin, had problems with it when slewing fast - if its short on power the alignment gets reset.

Hi Ann

5 amp will be fine it is only a problem if you use one that does not have enough of a amp rating to run your gear Maplins do have some that are a bit cheaper but i looked at them and the lead that comes from the power supply box just is no where near long enough for all the moving around the scope does the one in the link has extra long leads for that purpose

Kevin

Hi Ann

5 amp will be fine it is only a problem if you use one that does not have enough of a amp rating to run your gear Maplins do have some that are a bit cheaper but i looked at them and the lead that comes from the power supply box just is no where near long enough for all the moving around the scope does the one in the link has extra long leads for that purpose

Kevin

Thanks for your help. I just placed an order for the adaptor you showed in your link. Ordered from Harrison Telescopes. Certainly suitable for my Celestron EQ5 mount. I will certainly make sure that I keep it covered from dew in a plastic bag or something.

Regards,

Ann.

Hi,

If you are using your scope at home and can do it safely the it is far cheaper to use mains power, as charging a power tank/battery is so much more expensive that the power it gives, One thing for this counry is that we dont have to charge it every day due to the lack of good seeing.

If you use your scope in the same position in the garden evry time then think about having a properly fitted outlet with full RCD protection.

Kev.

If you use your scope in the same position in the garden evry time then think about having a properly fitted outlet with full RCD protection.

I've been thinking along those lines already. But for the moment, an extension lead will have to do.

Thanks.

Ann.

I use Mains, however with caution, what I have done is to outfit an old plastic drill case and put two cut outs on the side of it, one for the mains cable in, and one for the DC low voltage outputs, there are no plugs or transformers exposed to the elements and the case clips together and make's a prefect seal.

Archived