Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

heq5 synscan upgrade

now i seem to have everything pretty much as i want it in the obsy.i know saving for a heq5 synscan upgrade kit.

First Light Optics - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for HEQ5

when fitted does this allow for a less critical polar alignment?

Accurate polar alignment is still needed to allow the mount to track. Goto won't compensation for bad polar alignment.

Peter

it just made me wonder,why when i did a two star alignment on my etx125 there was no polar alignment involved,but the tracking seemed quite good.

obviously not good enough for long exposure imaging and there would be a rotation issue.

it just made me wonder,why when i did a two star alignment on my etx125 there was no polar alignment involved,but the tracking seemed quite good.

obviously not good enough for long exposure imaging and there would be a rotation issue.

The ETX125 has an AZ mount which doesn't require polar alignment. A goto EQ mount still needs a decent polar alignment to accurately track and to allow the handset to map the sky after star alignment.

Peter

the only help goto with give you is when you get to guiding which i dont think your mount can do, guiding does compensate for bad alignment but as your lucky enough to have a perm setup its worth putting in a few hours to get it spot on i think :)

Archived