SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Belt and Sword

Tom OD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no doubt in saying it is the best I have ever seen. Most are dominated by Ha almost all over and this gives a false impression of the region. Here the Ha is booming loud and clear where it should but the brown, not red, dusty outlying regions are the right colour. Also the blue reflection nebulosity around Alnilam is exquisitely rendered.

I have seen this picture unfolding since Tom and I are friends but this final result is just downright sensational. Seen as a poster sized image on paper it would be iconic.

Masterpiece is the word.

Olly

Wow! Tom, this is the definitive Orion image, for sure.

The whole image has a very natural feel. Congrats and well done!

Jordan

p.s. Have you got anywhere to upload a larger version or perhaps on Olly's SmugMug?

Wow! Tom, this is the definitive Orion image, for sure.

The whole image has a very natural feel. Congrats and well done!

Jordan

p.s. Have you got anywhere to upload a larger version or perhaps on Olly's SmugMug?

Good idea, Jordan. I made Tom this offer this morning and sent him the password etc.

There is clearly demand for an Encore on this one!!

Olly

Hi All,

Thanks a million for the very kind comments. I´m delighted with this pic, and while it was difficult getting it to stitch as a mosaic, and then trying to control everything, it was worth it. That one month holiday that was suggested is happening right now.

The image I posted was 1680 x 1100 pixels. Flicrk then squeezed it down a bit more. I´ll try an upload a bigger version to smugmug as Olly suggested. It does hold up in resolution right up to its full 7000x 5000 resolution, I´ll be running off 30x20 inch prints when I get home next week for the mantle-piece.

Tom.

Thanks again for those commetns everyone.

As usual I´m in a mad hurry, I´ve asked Olly to post the small version for the thread. I can only get to the internet cafe every second day, and I have no pics, or version of it with me today, so apologies for any delay in replies.

Tom.

Archived