Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a good goto AZ mount

jordan20

There aren't that many GOTO AZ mounts. The only one I know about is the IOptron Mini Tower, but that is about 700 pounds.

The NexStar SE mount can handle a C8 so I guess that it can manage a total load of around 6kgs.

The SE mount is a cracking mount for visual with the right OTA, its light strong and a good quality unit. If you are going visual only i would go for the SE mount. they can be picked up second hand for between 200-300

Yes, my SE (the lighter version) is very nifty and a joy to use except that it is a bit wobbly. But the OP is asking what can carry a 150mm Mak weighing well over 6kgs with all accessories added on. I'm not sure the SE mount is rated to go that high.

The two mounts don't look that different to me, having seen them side-by-side. As far as I know the larger mount (the one i was referring to) can take up to about 6 kilos.

Perhaps contact FLO for some advice.

keep an eye on astro buy and sell uk and also on the for sale on here.. they come up every now and again

The SE mount that comes with the 6 and 8 is a much more substantial than the 4/5se mount wiht built in wedge

where have you seen that se mount for around that price ?

Bought one 3 weeks ago for £220 from the "For sale" section on this website.

Less than 1 year old, works great.

I use it to mount my second-hand 6SE XLT. It is a really good combination.

Light, portable, accurate and very little vibration even at x200:hello2:

Goto mounts are for those who do not have the ability to find things by themselves

I too used to be of such a narrow minded opinion, thankfully my eyes have been opened to the benefits of goto for those whom prefer it. I don't use goto myself as I enjoy the fuzzy hunting and star hopping but no longer look down my nose at those who do.

I think the thread has been wrong footed so it would be good to go back to the original question on finding a suitable alt/az goto mount for jordon20.

Mark

exactly that's why i chose to blank the comment in the hope everyone else would to.

Archived