sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Castell, Skywatcher or Astronomica? (UHC Filter)

I don't think there would be much difference between these three. They may even be the same filter re-branded - this happens quite a lot with astronomy equipment. For example I found that the Celestron and Baader O-III filters were identical.

Apparently the Baader UHC-S has a too wide bandwith to be called a UHC filter?

I just want the one which will make nebulae stand out the most. I don't really mind if stars disappear.

Cheers

Apparently the Baader UHC-S has a too wide bandwith to be called a UHC filter?

I just want the one which will make nebulae stand out the most. I don't really mind if stars disappear.

Cheers

It's definately got a wider band pass width than other UHC's but I found it more effective than broadband filters like the Orion Skyglow. I think Baader aimed it at smaller apertures in which it works rather well - it was the filter that showed my the Veil nebula with an 80mm F/5 achromat so it can't be too bad :D

If you have more aperture (6" or more) you should be looking at a more conventional UHC or even an O-III. The Baader O-III has a very narrow band pass width and, personally, I do like to see some background stars so I prefer less severe filters like the Orion Ultrablock or my current Astronomik O-III.

If I could have only one filter I would go with the OIII. I use the Castell version in an 80mm refractor, and the Veil and North America nebulae are unmistakable (wow moments) for me. In addition, M42, M43, M27 and M57 among others are much improved.

Admittedly my light pollution may not be too severe so don't see a big difference with the UHC-S, and the OIII will degrade the view on most non nebulous objects, so it probably comes down to suck it and see.

Edited by catburglar