Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M97 , 108 and Friends

Trevor N

Thanks for the comments. I'm always amazed what you can pick up with relatively short exposures. I've no idea what sort of magnitude these galaxies are. Does anyone know how to find out . Regards, Trevor

...I've no idea what sort of magnitude these galaxies are. Does anyone know how to find out...

You can find out from Carte du Ciel. The faint ones on your image are around 16th/17th magnitude. The one at about 11 O'clock from M108 (about a third of the distance between M97 & 108), for instance, is PGC34144 at mag 15.72.

From my Uranometria 2000.0 Deep Sky Atlas. All magnitudes are visual mags. Many of these ought to be visible in a good 8-10 inch instrument under ideal conditions.

My apologies for marking up your nice image.

M97-M108-ed100-dslr-12-x-4-min_2.jpg

That's a great composition Trevor, and nicely captured.

Try taking some flats next time, as it would be even better if you got rid of the vignetting, and flats would do this.

Rob

Archived