Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A-Focal Imaging

I am considering getting one of those adapter thingys which allow you to set the camera up to get the best possible image from A-Focal projection into the camera lens without having to hold the camera and lens yourself.

I don't know how they work or if they are any good. Please help.

Also which is the best one please? I notice that FLO sell two different ones.

They hold your camera with its lens fitted so the lens is just behind your eyepiece aligned and pointing along the optical axis.

I use the Baader version occasionally for spectroscopy. (but either should do the job OK)

Ideally need a eyepiece with a focal length close to the camera lens focal length, camera focused on infinity pointing into an eyepiece already focused by eye and you should be able to image the moon, and planets.

I have been looking at some of these, but none of them seem to indicate how big/small a camera you can use them with.

i have a Fuji s1600 and the lens comes out about 4" from the mounting screw.

does anyone know if it would fit?

Guys,

i've just measured the Baader unit for you...

The maximum distance from the clamp to the camera mounting screw is 125mm. So if the distance from the screw to the front of the lens is more than say 110mm you will have difficulty....

I have been looking at some of these, but none of them seem to indicate how big/small a camera you can use them with.

i have a Fuji s1600 and the lens comes out about 4" from the mounting screw.

does anyone know if it would fit?

you probably wont be able to use your bridge camera with an adaptor, i had a nice kodak but it was to big

Hasnt the Fuji got a 58mm threaded end

I think most do but, unfortunately, mine doesn't.

I might look into making something that would hold my camera to the EP.

It will have to wait until i finish my homemade laser collimator.

• 5 months later...

They can be quite hard to align with jupiter, but i got my first image today using an astro engineering PH047 with a panasonic lumix DMC-FS3.

Nothing great but it will get you started:)

P1020622.jpg

i have also taken some videos of the moon A-focal.

Moon and craters - 10 inch dobsonian Telescope at low magnification - YouTube

infact using the 3 times magnification on the camera you can really crank up the magnification to crazy levels! even if the image quality suffers a little bit!;)

Moon and craters - 10 inch dobsonian Telescope at Super high magnification - 720x! - YouTube

Overall i would deffinatly reccomend one! i think they are a great way to get your first pictures without breaking the bank.

I have seen those on a site but wanted to see the set up before buying , how do I know what size to get? I'm sure I noticed 3 different ones

oh I seemed to have lost the site which they were on ;) will FLO sell them? I will go look my cam is a nikon coolpix so I'm hoping it will work

Archived