SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FINALLY got my mk-66 today :) "pics"

Lovely looking scope there :p

Unsurprisingly, it has lots of parts in common with my Intes MN61 maksutov-newtonian, including that rather nice dew shield :D

I can hear that EQ1 groaning under the weight !.

yes i know i need a new mount but its actual handling it quite well to me honest :D. i have had first light but all of it was spent on collimating it and its still not quite there yet. had a look at Saturn the view was ok but the primary is still out but ive got the secondary dialled in :p. and when i re tightened up the primary there was no image shift at all !. i managed to clean the diagonal with good old breath and the baader cloth its now spotless.

but it just needs a good clean i am going to re spray the dew shield with mat black and BBQ paint for the outside because it looks the same as the original paint when its dry ;)

"EDIT/UPDATE"

just did a day light collimation on a hot spot and :D ive never seen anything so sharp ! i started with a 8mm baader HP at 228x and tac sharp i threw in a barlow 457x still tack sharp finaly a 7mm with the barlow 522x and only a little degradation in quality. is this normal or have i just got a very good one ?

god i hope i get a clear night now ! :D

did a fine adjustment last-night and then turned to Saturn. a huge improvement over first light ! and i don't think the minor coating damage is affecting it in any way thank god ! :p

clear sky's everybody :D

i cant wait till the moon is out at a reasonable time again ! and i still cant get my head around how it took 500+ MAG on Saturn last-night ! amazing !!. all i need now is a new mount i have been looking at the Celestron NexStar SE GOTO Mount i don't know is that's any good because im not going to be doing any deep sky photos :D

it is built like a tank ! weighed it today with the EP its its just over 7kg and nothing on it moves what so ever ! so i would recommend it to anyone who looks at the planets or the moon but i have noticed it takes a long time to cool down :D

it is built like a tank ! weighed it today with the EP its its just over 7kg and nothing on it moves what so ever ! so i would recommend it to anyone who looks at the planets or the moon but i have noticed it takes a long time to cool down :p

Store it in an unheated garage or shed like I do with my C8. The latter is a lightweight at 4.7 kg, but then I never set it up on my EQ1 :D

unfortunately i dont have that luxury where i am at the moment but i just leave it out for a few hours before i observe. and the eq1 is just until i can afford a new mount "witch i am still stuck on deciding on" but its actually doing very well only takes a couple of seconds for it to settle down :D

Archived