Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which CCD Camera - Atik/Optistar?

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a 2nd CCD camera.

I would like to get a colour camera (don't really fancy the monochrome/filter route at this time) and am quite interested in the following:

1. Atik 314L+ (seems a popular choice).

2. An Opticstar CCD - Opticstar DS-615C XL CCD camera. (not seen many images taken with this make of camera in the forum).

Has anyone used either?

I would be very interested in peoples thoughts/recommendations/experiences regarding 1 and 2 above.

Whatever I buy will be used for DSO imaging.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :D

If you want a color camera then the general choice is one of QHY8 variations. It has big, APS-C color CCD (size like in most DSLR). Atik 314L+ is a cool camera but as a color cam - you have a small sensor there (most people use 314L+ mono). The Opticstar DS-* ICE are laboratory cameras modded for astro work (but still ~12-bit). That DS-615 uses one of those big APS-C sensors that is also used by one of QHY8 models.

Well I would choose neither of those for a colour camera

The chip on the Atik is very small and although an absolute winner in mono, the colours versions just arent the same. Never used an opticstar camera and not heard a lot about them (for a reason I suspect!)

I would look here QHY10 QHY12 QHY9 QHY8 QHY6 QHY6 Pro QHY5 QHY2 Pro Exclusively @ Modern Astronomy and take a look at the QHY range of colour cameras, specifically the QHY8L, large chip and good price with top notch support from Bern @ modern astronomy you cant go wrong.... :D

Mmmmmm,

Thank you both.

I bought my QHY5 from Bern. A good service so I will definately buy from MA again.

I'll certainly look at the QHY range as i'm pleased with the QHY5.

Does the QHY8/8L come with an adapter/extension to connect to the telescope (2"?).

What else would I need to buy?

Also, why the need of a dessicant tube?

Mmmmmm,

Thank you both.

I bought my QHY5 from Bern. A good service so I will definately buy from MA again.

I'll certainly look at the QHY range as i'm pleased with the QHY5.

Does the QHY8/8L come with an adapter/extension to connect to the telescope (2"?).

What else would I need to buy?

Also, why the need of a dessicant tube?

Desiccant is used to dry out the chamber. I haven't had to do this yet, but it's early days...

Mike,

Thanks for answering the extra questions and, further endorsing the QHY CCD's.

Looks like QHY will be my way to go unless someone can come up with serious reasons as to why other CCD's would make a better choice............:D

I have read the argument for monochrome cameras and filter wheels but at this time I just want a camera that will give better results than the DSI II and is easy to setup (as I have to set up for each session at the moment).

My girlfriend has suggested I build an observatory at her place (a dark sky sight in Mid-Wales) but that is for the future!

I've also got the QHY8L, and am extremely pleased with it (though yet to use it in real anger yet).

The desiccant tube allows you to dry the air in the sensor chamber, as Mike has said.

Here's my first light M51 with this camera...34 x 200s. Stacked in DSS, no flats or darks applied.

29efb75d.jpg

A nice image of M51!

For my budget, looks like it will be a difficult choice between the QHY8 & QHY8L.

I do appreciate that equipment is only part of the answer - how you use it is probably more important!

Have attached my 1st attempt at imaging using the DSI II - 50x15s, unguided (and very little manipulation).

post-25010-133877609906_thumb.jpg

A nice image of M51!

For my budget, looks like it will be a difficult choice between the QHY8 & QHY8L.

I do appreciate that equipment is only part of the answer - how you use it is probably more important!

Have attached my 1st attempt at imaging using the DSI II - 50x15s, unguided (and very little manipulation).

Pete,

Speak to Bern @ MA. There are some "features" of the QHY8 that convinced me to go for the 8L. The 8 needs a little more care to ensure that the sensor chamber doesn't fog....IIRC it needs to be (ideally) kept in an airtight box with desiccants.

Bern will give you the lowdown and give you the info needed to make an informed decision.

Thanks Zak and Rik for your advice.

I spoke to Bern when I was buying the QHY5. I found him to be very friendly and offered good advice on that purchase. I think my choice has narrowed to the QHY8L as I am sure Bern will give me the same advice the two of you have given.

Not had an opportunity to try guiding yet as my free time and clear skies have not coincided! Have managed a setup in daylight to ensure the QHY5 talks to PHD and to practise focussing (images of a distant TV ariel anyone?).

Processing will be a different skill again, still, I can keep the images I take and practise that skill until something useful eventually starts to emerge :D.

Thanks again all for your time and input. Hope I can do the same for others at some point in the future.

Archived