SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Free CAD software

malc-c

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Malcolm :D Looks just the thing. Pity there isn't a Linux or Mac OS X version. I haven't got a Windows box running ATM - having a rearrangement at home and the XP box is stored away. But hope to set it up again in the next few days.

What would you want to use this cad programme for? I may know some better tools.
Designing observatories and warm rooms with roll off roofs.

Have you considered google sketchup. It is a very intuitive 3D package, you can generate all the 2D sections, plans and elevations you could ever want from the 3D model.

I keep marine fish and designed a sump I wanted to build with Sketchup.

I can't work out how to attached images on here, but this link shows you what can be done quite simply.

3D sump Design: Split chamber advice - UltimateReef.com

Found sketchup rather hard going. The app I found is very simple to use, click on the circle button, click and drag to make a circle, right click, properties and enter the radius you want and it snaps to it - excellent for designing plates and mounts for pier heads, observatories etc. Whilst I like the power of other cad programs, often it takes you half a day and loads of tries to get started - often we don't need all that complexity

Found sketchup rather hard going. The app I found is very simple to use, click on the circle button, click and drag to make a circle, right click, properties and enter the radius you want and it snaps to it - excellent for designing plates and mounts for pier heads, observatories etc. Whilst I like the power of other cad programs, often it takes you half a day and loads of tries to get started - often we don't need all that complexity

You've almost exactly described how to draw a circle in sketchup, except in sketchup it's even easier because there is no need to right-click properties to enter the radius. In sketchup you would just click the circle button, click to place the circle where you want it, then enter the radius of the circle and press enter.

I do agree it can be a little hard going at first though, but the video tutorials are pretty good and show you everything you need to know imo.

Just downloaded Sketchup for the Mac - I'll try it later - thanks for the link :D

I'll look at the other one too - thanks Malcolm :p

Guys and Gals, I stumbled on a nice bit of free CAD software that is as easy to use as MS Paint that gets bundled with windows !

Free cad software thats easy to use

The pro version is only $28, but for basic stuff such as designing mounts etc its ideal and a lot less complicated than the trial version of Autocad :D

A nice programme, but the free version doesn't seem to offer isometric functionality, as far as I can see. Still, a useful piece of software which I can see myself using.

Sketch-up is pretty good also. Each has it's place.

Kevin

Hi, I've had a little play with the free cad program you suggested and i think it's absolutely brilliant. Obviously being a complete novice it's gonna take a bit of time to get used to but i did start to draw a reflector scope. The more you zoom in the finer detail you can make. Cheers for that one Malcolm.

Proguecad handles most of the common things that autocad does. And can be used free for private use. (Tiny notice on every printout though) Hatching is a bit slow but other than that I can't fault it.

Hi, I've had a little play with the free cad program you suggested and i think it's absolutely brilliant. Obviously being a complete novice it's gonna take a bit of time to get used to but i did start to draw a reflector scope. The more you zoom in the finer detail you can make. Cheers for that one Malcolm.

Glad to hear that you find it useful. I agree with some of the other posters that the free version has limitations, but for designing things like pier plates, and simple 2D stuff it does that just fine

Just found this, whilst searching CTB files for AutoCAD:

Free CAD software * for your DWG files: DraftSight - Dassault Systèmes

A free CAD programme which is being beta testing on Mac. Just had a quick look and it seems to utilise the same commands as AutoCAD which looks good.

Anybody used this programme? Is it quick to learn the basics and how does it compare to VectorEngineer regarding functionality and ease of use?

I enjoy designing on the PC, but don't do it very often, so don't really want to have to relearn the programme everytime I use it.

Kevin

Ive had a quick play with it and it seems to have all the same commands as AutoCAD. L for Line, C for circle, it also takes direct input from the keyboard.

So, for example type L and hit return to draw a line. Click the first point of the line and then type in a length and hit return.

Seems pretty simple to pick up in my limited use.

HTH

I had Draftsight on my PC for a while now (I've never really used it) and just clicked on it - it wont run as it is "licence has expired" !! So much for it being "free".

D'oh, thats not good...

Archived