Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I am not seeing red

Can some helpful soul please tell me what and where to get the film I have heard people mention which covers a laptop screen and mobile phone etc.

Also what else apart from a laptop and mobile phone would I use it on please.

The cheap-o solution is colored plastic food wrap. They sometimes sell it at holiday time for wrapping cookies and such. I stock up so I have some when I need it. I can wrap my laptop screen for the night, then easily take it off and toss it later.

Dan

i am sure i used to have a programme that when activated turned the pc screen into a night vision friendly screen

well they do...sort of.

if you look down at your keyboard and think of it as an lcd screen, the keys representing the pixels, they turn red...but they are backlit from the white light behind, that shines through the cracks (like the gaps between keyboard keys) and you end up with a really bright screen still.

best bet is a bit of red cellophane (Red Cellophane Roll - Paper from Crafty Crocodiles UK) with posting was about £3 for 5m...should keep you going :D

I cut to size a plastic red transparent folder from a stationary store.I hinged it to the top of the screen with a few pieces of gorilla tape and used small tabs of velcro to hold it to the screen and to the back of the screen when flipped back out of the way for normal use.Works great.

i am sure i used to have a programme that when activated turned the pc screen into a night vision friendly screen

I wrote one for the Mac - available from a link in software thread of the Mac social group.

It worked well at SGL6 although I will look at adding a slider to reduce the max level of red. In a really dark site, AOSXRedVision is still a little too bright with the laptop brightness turned down to minimum.

Why buy anything? I just use a sainsburys bag, even though its more orange, definately does the job. If you use Stellarium on the bottom toolbar, you will see an "eye" this is the toggle for night vision view.

I always use the red film rather than mess with the settings.

Stellarium and APT have 'night' mode, but have a habit of crashing and throwing up nice big bright white error boxes. That goes down well at a star party...

Archived