SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Skywatcher 120ED Review

Deneb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

I wonder if anyone has compared the optical performance of the newer Synta 120ED's with the Schott front element with that of the older workhorse, the 

Orion

120ED. Playing the devil's advocate, Synta's alliance with Schott doesn't have to be to obtain a better product; it could simply be to obtain a cheaper or more reliable source of glass!

Evan

I wonder if anyone has compared the optical performance of the newer Synta 120ED's with the Schott front element with that of the older workhorse, the Orion 120ED. Playing the devil's advocate, Synta's alliance with Schott doesn't have to be to obtain a better product; it could simply be to obtain a cheaper or more reliable source of glass!

Evan

My understanding is that Skywatcher have always used a mating element made from a Schott glass type to match the Ohara made FPL-53 ED element in their ED doublet scopes. In recent years they signed an agreement with Schott to give more prominence to their partnership so the brand name was mentioned in the promotion / specifications and the sticker went on the tube.

Yes, I've read that report and a number of others from around the web. Pity TS could not find an image of an ED120 Pro to illustrate it !

There are documents available online which cover the agreement between Synta and Schott so I've no doubts about the glass types that have been used in these models and that it has remained consistent.

Scopes are not identical though. You take 10 versions of the same scope and there will be slight variations between examples. I've experienced that personally with a few scope types that I have owned more than one example of over the years.

My ED120 is the older, gold type, and performs extremely well for me, which is all I'm worried about :smiley:

Of course many folks would hold that an ED doublet could never control CA as well or even slightly better than an ED triplet  :wink:

• 3 years later...

Is there a GoTo AltAz that could take the weight of the Skywatcher Equinox 120, which I believe is about 8.5 kg not including EP's or Telrad? I've found an AltAz/EQ dual purpose that would take it but it's expensive and I really don't like EQ mounts.

1 hour ago, notimejeff said:

Is there a GoTo AltAz that could take the weight of the Skywatcher Equinox 120, which I believe is about 8.5 kg not including EP's or Telrad? I've found an AltAz/EQ dual purpose that would take it but it's expensive and I really don't like EQ mounts.

The iOptron Minitower v2.0 could carry an ED120 I would think. They are not exactly cheap either though.

Archived