which webcam do you use?

garethmob

just wondering which webcam do you use

im going to guess the p800/900 is going to be one main but what about others

im looking for a cheap one that can be converted and every one has more experience than me

i do have the xbox cam but im going to guess thats a nogo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what folks thoughts are on the PS Eye (Playstation Eye Camera). It has amazing specs and it is possible to download a PC Driver. I used to use one for monitoring the cats at the backdoor :D

I do not have the knowledge if it is useful for astrophotography but I do have 3 of them and would use one if needed.

SPECS:

Connectivity USB 2.0 (type-A) Resolution

Dimensions 80mm × 55mm × 65mm

3.25" × 2.12" × 2.5"

DRIVER

Sony PS3Eye Camera DirectShow Capture Source Filter *Update* v3.0.0.0901 AlexP’s Weblog

hth

spc900 as well, the morgans 880's are pretty cheap still.

Ordered mine from Morgans this morning. Preflashed web cam, nosepiece and UV/IR filter for £40 is a bargain.

MS LifeCam with lens removed and image sensor assembly rehoused. Can't be modded for long exposure though.

Amazon are selling them at just under £30

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread, I'm looking at getting a webcam for astronomy, for two reasons, one I'd like to take some pictures though cannot afford a professional setup (yet) and also want to share my observations over the internet with my father in law who likes astronomy but isn't well enough to be outside in the cold.

I like the look of the phillips from Morgan Computers as it's a reasonable price and seems that it can be flashed by a higher spec by themselves. Though I do wonder what 'further modifications' are required to make it useable on DSOs.

Can anyone put some pictures on this thread of what they've been able to achieve with it, or point me in the direction of some.

Thanks

Steve

Can anyone put some pictures on this thread of what they've been able to achieve with it, or point me in the direction of some.

look through the imaging section - especially the planets thread - there are loads of them, as for DSO's you'll need an LX mod, to make it act like a single shot camera - again possible and there are examples in those threads as well - slightly more pricey unless it's a job you want to undertake yourself and once again there are threads of how to do that - God bless SGL!

modifications' are required to make it useable on DSOs.

Thanks

Steve

The picture of Saturn on my account was taken with the Morgan flashed SPC880

look through the imaging section - especially the planets thread - there are loads of them, as for DSO's you'll need an LX mod, to make it act like a single shot camera - again possible and there are examples in those threads as well - slightly more pricey unless it's a job you want to undertake yourself and once again there are threads of how to do that - God bless SGL!

+1...Thanks, I think I'll have a look into Morgans as soon as I can justify the money my wife. I do/did have a Microsoft Lifecam that I've seen instructions on modding for a telescope, unfortunately I've not seen it since I moved and fear it may have been thrown away! C'est la vie, I'll have to buy a replacement if I do get into some basic imaging. - Sorry to hijack this thread for my own questions.

• 5 months later...

I use Ubisoft wii camera attached to telescope takes great images of moon,

also use xbox live vision cam without the red glass filter making it infrared very sensitive to light use to capture some stars.

also have older philips i just recently got for 3 quid off ebay seems to work great in dark ;)

soon i shall test a mini ccd spycam with pluscom easy capture to pc.

waiting for the cam to arrive in post soon as i get that will test that on moon and stars planets maybe.

anyone else used the ccd spycams ?

MS Lifecam HD5000. (Omnivision CCD)

IR cut filter been removed, and un-installed MS drivers (allows 720 HD @30fps) . no long exposure mod for this cam. cost me £21 from argos on offer.

it is strong with IR, all my Avi's are purple in color. been unable to find a star with it using a SW heritage 76 mini dob. jupiter is a blob. the moon avi files are better well nearly, i posted a avi off cam on youtube (mr tamiyacowboy)

3x digital zoom in 10 steps. no gain control. and low exposure times, sharpcap picks camera up but controls are sparse and few between. shame the IR filter was a lens, one of four. main pain was removing the main lens unit from the cameras PCB and mount

• 2 weeks later...

The best cam i use to take images of moon in good detail is the Ubisoft wii cam

easy to remove front lens and attach to telescope :)

try it for yourself's get wii cam from your shape game's or my fitness coach.

i also use xbox live vision cam on it's own with the red glass filter removed

making cam infrared for observing night sky using the long exposure.

tryed the ps3 eye cam today just as it is secured over 25mm EP focused on jupiter but lots of noise in the dark. was using about 5 metres of USB cable but was hoping it deliver something better than my now broken cheap as chips webcam. if anyone got a half decent cam to sell i'm willing to buy as i now need to move on to taking some images just to show 'her in doors' plus might get the kids interested.

Archived