Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography beginner help (first steps)

Hi gang,

I'm toying with the idea of gettin a dslr:p, not just for use with my scope but general as well. I'm pretty much set on getting a Canon 1000d :p mainly down to positive reviews on here as well as elsewhere on T'internet. I want a camera that will perform well for astro.. but can still be used for normal photos.. landscapes etc.

As i understand it, to mount a dslr to a scope you first need to remove the zoom lens, use an adaptor (camera fitting one end/scope the other)

My current set-up:

127 Skywatcher MAK

8-24mm baader zoom eyepiece

eq 3-2 mount (not driven....yet!)

x2 barlow

With my current set-up what else would I need to attach a 1000d to my zoom eyepiece? I've read about T adapters but I've yet to find a basic how to set-up guide.

Any help or suggestions will be most welcomed. Please bear in mind I am completely new to photography so it's all pretty much Greek to me!!.........for now!:D

Thanks in adavance for any replies ;)

Greg :D

Default position: camera (no lens) - T mount - nosepiece - eyepiece holder (no eyepiece)

However, check if by removing the diagonal you have a thread that will attach directly to a T mount (thus saving a little expense). This also reduces the 'moveable' bits by one and so increases stability.

HTH

Default position: camera (no lens) - T mount - nosepiece - eyepiece holder (no eyepiece)

However, check if by removing the diagonal you have a thread that will attach directly to a T mount (thus saving a little expense). This also reduces the 'moveable' bits by one and so increases stability.

HTH

Thanks for the info :D

in the box with my zoom eyepiece there were some adapters but very little in the way of descriptions for each item. I assume these supplied adapters could be the 'nosepiece' of the above set-up?

Initially I plan to take images of contellations, as well as some lunar and planetary pics, maybe try DSO too but I think i'll need to add a RA drive to my mount first.

I would just like to take basic images for now but I want to be able to 'grow' into this camera but I don't want to upgrade again anytime soon.

again...any help would be most appreciated!

Greg.

I have a skymax127 and a Canon 550d which is very similar to the 1000d you are thinking of.

I bought a T ring to Canon bayonet adapter which screws directly on to the 127 if you remove the diagonal. This makes a very secure mounting which I have used for lunar, planetary and some dso imaging.

I have a skymax127 and a Canon 550d which is very similar to the 1000d you are thinking of.

I bought a T ring to Canon bayonet adapter which screws directly on to the 127 if you remove the diagonal. This makes a very secure mounting which I have used for lunar, planetary and some dso imaging.

Thanks for that I will look into that adaptor. I was thinking I could use my zoom eyepiece for some extra magnification too. No doubt adding the zoom eyepiece to the set-up will require different adaptors again? This is a bit of a minefield for a newbie!

So what would I need to mount the camera directly to the scope (no eyepiece)? A T adaptor?

and secondly, what would I need to mount the camera to the zoom eyepiece?

thanks again

Greg.

Greg, I don't know the Baader zoom requirements, but it's probably the same adapter ring needed for fixed focal length ep's... Have a word with FLO, they sorted mine out for me, but I can't remember the specific details. Whilst ep projection will work ok on the moon, it's not ideal. Single exposures with the Mak on the moon will do a nice job. A webcam will do better on the planets.

Greg,

This is what a nosepiece looks like:

Antares Antares basic 1.25" nosepiece to T-thread camera adaptor It has a screw thread on one end (attaches to camera's T mount) and the other end is a tube that fits in the eyepiece holder.

For widefield/constellation shots check out http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/73737-basic-widefield-camera-tripod.html

HTH

Excellent!! thanks demonperformer (like the avatar pic btw)

Thanks for the link to the widefield write-up! interesting reading.

Think I will take JGS001s advice and contact FLO to make sure I'm buying the right bits n pieces and order through them.

Thanks again :D

Greg

Just to add to DP's last comment... you could always mount the camera directly to your eq3 and go tracked widefield for a much deeper view of your targeted area.

Thanks for the tip.... I fully intend to get tracking sorted for my mount at some point but I feel I need to get up to speed with taking basic images first! I've only ever used camera phones :D

Archived