Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 has disappeared.

Adamski

For the last 2 nights i have tried to view m13 and haven't been able to locate it. I have viewed it several times before and found it very easily. The conditions last night were excellent, dark, no wind and no atmospheric disturbances, Probably the best night i've had so far for conditions. I located hercules straight away but no matter what i tried it just wasn't there,:D Has some one hidden as a wierd kind of prank?

On the otherwise-invisible planet Krypton (Skaro? Trantor?), which lies directly in line-of-sight, a massive volcano has just erupted, spewing ash out into space and blotting out everything in that direction.... :D

Seriously though, do you mean naked-eye or bins/'scope? I have never yet succeeded in seeing M13 naked-eye - my eyes just ain't good enough. But I'll check tonight, with the bins, if weather permits...

The background sky was pretty light for me last night. I could see M13 (and M92 and M12) using an 8" f/6 Dob and EP's from 25mm to 8.8mm, but they were MUCH fainter than normal.

Could be volcanic ash scattering the light?

The sky was OK in Dudley. M13 was very faint in the 9x50 finderscope - but at x150 and x200 it was fantastic. Same with M92. The keystone was not much higher than my roof so it was easier to find (chimney hopping and tree hopping always help me find things)

I just checked on stellarium to see why i couldn't find m13 and now feel a bit stupid. I did not go down far enough from the star that makes up the right hand shoulder of Hercules. Going to definitely have another go tonight, weather permitting. Cheers.

it was the best view of M13 I've had yet and then I got to see it through a dob, even better

I stumbled across it trying line up the keystone for a search of M92 - did'nt get to see M92 in the end!

Archived