Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 5 element EDs now listed on their site (120 and 150)

These look like very very nice scopes. I'd love to try out the 150.

Anyone else been looking at these?

5 element ED120 and ED150

Double field flattener, M48 etc.

I wonder how much that bad boy will cost....:)

Edit: I'd seen these in the brochure but I didn't notice a 100 version. Seems they haven't finished that page yet 5 element ED100

Yep - saw these a few weeks ago - but not seen prices listed anywhere - might have to call the UK distributor.

Have been thinking about getting an equinox 120 ED - how to you find them for planetary and the brighter DSO's ?

Seen them last year in the catalogue but didn't know they were listed yet :)

EQ120...Planets are ok but they're F7.5 and aren't ideal for planets. They sit crisp and detailed but Saturn was quite small when observing.

For DSOs I couldn't be happier. It grabs a lot of info for any given exposure length. The reducer takes it down to F6.37.

I love mine and will hold onto it for dear life. Unless this 150 is an affordable price.

Me thinks FLO will know the score. Maybe they'll trade! lol

Someone mentioned on another thread that a European dealer had euro prices up and based on those the 150 looked like it'd come in around £5k!!!!

Gulp.

Others have pointed out you can get similar scopes from high end manufacturers for less. SW may have missed the spot with this one :-(

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

...exactly.

Skywatcher do some great stuff that, for a budget, is very good...but...

Once you start outpricing some of the best makes in the world for a similar scope... people just wont buy it... not from a 'budget' brand.

Pitty... I was assuming (like most people I think) this scope would be around the £2k to £3k mark and be vaguely within reach of mortals.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Is the scope at £5k on TS site the same as the ones above? They look the same, but the objective is described in the techno spec as "Achromatic"..then as ED.

I know there are arguments as to whether ED is apo or semi apo etc but surely it's not achromatic? And with 5 elements?

But oddly, the Tal 125Apolar is in a sense "achromatic" as I believe it does not use any exotic glasses, although it has 5 or 6 elements; it seems to be the arrangement and spacing of the elements that eliminates CA..

It's all very confusing, but I agree with John, if they come in at £5k they will spend a looooong time at Optical Vision's warehouse!:D:D:eek:

Dave

What's the pricing on the new TAL 150 APO going to be like? I think a lot more within reach. :D

John

Having seen a couple of TAL 125 Apolars it will be interesting to see if TAL can maintain consistent quality control on the 150 model.

One think I've learned about Skywatcher scopes is that their quality is remarkably consistent :p

Archived