Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what scope to get ???

Hi all iam new to all this so please could you help me out.

I have a budget of £300 to get a scope so what would you say is a good first one to buy ?? Would like to do a bit of planetary and deap sky stuff...

cheers Wayne

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree with the 200P dob. In my astro class, everyone starts with a dob, and they are the workhorse scopes that we do almost all of our lab work on.

A 200mm scope will give excellent views, great reach for Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) and terrific views of lunar and planetary targets. Light, rugged, easy to transport and sets up in a flash.

One of the best bargains in astronomy today.

Don't forget to budget for a 32-40mm 'wide angle' EP for deep sky, and maybe a Barlow lens to help with lunar and planetary work. A lunar filter, red LED torch, and a paper star map are also good choices.

Dan

thanks for that lads. but i have had a look at a dob and they are a bit low for me as iam 6 foot.And i will not be moving from me back garden has i dont drive. and thanks i will download that now cheers

If your not keen on the dob, how about the First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 ? I have it on that mount and it is brilliant, its shown me everything I've looked for so far and I'm now absolultey hooked! Heres my review for it: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/130071-skywatcher-exlorer-150p-eq3-2-a.html

There is also the PL which is the same scope but with a longer focal length, however some people say that the extra tube length is to much for the mount.

thanks for that lads. but i have had a look at a dob and they are a bit low for me as iam 6 foot.And i will not be moving from me back garden has i dont drive. and thanks i will download that now cheers

Although it's out of your budget at the moment the SkyWatcher Skytee 2 Alt-Az mount will handle up to a 10" Newt OTA and the eyepiece will be more than high enough for you. You can adjust the height as the OTA is mounted using tube rings. Also you could mount a refractor for widefield on the mount at the same time. :D

John

me too - I use my garden furniture to sit / lean on - it's steadier than standing and helps hold a good image in the eyepiece. Others use observing chairs - or lidl ironing chairs (other ironing chairs are available!) which are height adjustable.

when I had a scope with a tripod, I found that if extended the legs fully so I could stand upright to oberve the height increased the vibrations in the tripod, so I would set it low down and use a seat anyway.

Raise the block on which you stand the Dob, lower the seat on which the large observer sits... Not difficult!

No axe to grind. I have most of these toys to play with, but if you only have one and your budget is limited you are into this for THE OPTICS.

Dob.

Olly

This SCT campaign is not going so well! :p

You should see the Refractor campaign these days. Oops, just got confused, I don't think there is a refractor campaign? :D

I got a 'frac as my first scope, and I'd be willing to fight off a Dob any day ;)

It isn't a refractor campaign - we are more exclusive than that!!! :D

The Refractor Club is open to all who appreciate the beauty of an unobstructed view of the heavens! ;)

Dan

President - Big 'Frac Club

California Chapter :p

You should see the Refractor campaign these days. Oops, just got confused, I don't think there is a refractor campaign? :D

I got a 'frac as my first scope, and I'd be willing to fight off a Dob any day :D

Archived