Narrowband

Obs - Planning stage

astroimpulse

Yes, eyes are our most valuable asset. But ears are important too - one of my joys is listening to music as well as chatting. We have a farmer neighbour who has always point blank refused to wear ear protection when using a powerful and very noisy strimmer. His hearing has suffered and now you have to shout to make him hear. I wouldn't want to get like that!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a proper power tool!

I wish I'd actually owned it though ;) Most of my garden was by hand and I could have done with it for longer. Only a small area was machine dug and that deep is solid clay and rock.

Still...if I did own it there's a possibility I would have dug and dug and dug. Great fun but maybe a home wrecker! :D

Oh quite agree...

DiggerB.jpg

For me it was good timing. A mate three doors down was having his garden landscaped, and the guy next door (seen operating the digger) does groundwork for a living... and had hired a mini JCB for the weekend to do the work... and happened to volunteer to dig my footings for me :p

I have to agree with the comments about eye protection... it would be a bit ironic if you end up blinded building an observatory... H&S is often overlooked when doing DIY, but in reality you should be looking at your site as if it were a normal construction site and take the relevant precautions

As for a sticky, that's a nice recommendation - but I think that it's worth scouring this complete section and including links to other build threads so that its a concise sticky for anyone contemplating building their own. I've been inspired by Wayne's build http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/103639-wetherview-diy-obsy-build-begins.html and a few others... There are some really good designs out there, just takes a bit of researching, so a sticky with them all in would be cool.

I was going to get a 'Best of ..' sticky together a while ago, but life got a bit busy! I'll start a thread asking for recomendations for inclusion and then populate a few stickies - it might be useful to split into a few threads covering different aspects (eg pictures of members' obs, good links, planning and design, suppliers..)

Watch this space....

Helen

Sounds great, Helen :D

A few links etc in a planning type thread may be a good idea too for helping people know the legal considerations. The link I posted above is official and is a great help.

Looking forward to seeing a thread with the best of the best in it. It'll be long as there are so many outstanding efforts on here.

Archived