Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bedfordshire UK.

Dave R Smith

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum

James

Thank-you for your wisdom James.

My day job is video production and DSLR a hobby, so I know you can't beat getting your hands on kit to test.

Daves' kind inviation to Bedford / BAS, will mean my grasp is more than reading shedloads, which can detract from appeal after a time.

In looking at optics, I tend to compare it to my SLR, for size, but can see nothing through the viewfinder, so use trial and error to align etc. Couldn't do that with a film camera!

I understand 1200mm compare to same on SLR, but it will be brighter.

I'm good at Maths, so manual co-ords shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing there is a website where you can enter say 'Jupiter' and co-ords for given location is returned.

> first thing to point out that kit that is good for observing isn't necessarily the most suitable for imaging.

I believe I need tube+convertor for EOS350D, and that most eyepieces should have means to connect them, but some are more tedious than others to 'quick release'?

>Capturing the data..

I'm a whizz with photoshop and have read about subtracting camera blacks, so that will be further down the line.

Just today I picked up 'Turn left at Orion' (2000 edition - I see its revised, due out Aug 2011 !!!) and 'The stargazers handbook', but do need some hands on to balance the reading.

Lots of my questions will no doubt be in the forum, so don't want to be lazy and ask questions without checking first.

Thank-you for your detailed advice James - which I will follow.

> a black hole might be that one sitting at the the bottom of your wallet.:):D:D:D

or should I call my wallet Haley.. if you know your stuff you can do the punch line!:p

Best wishes.

Dave

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Dave, welcome to SGL :)

Lots of sound advice up above. I'd second that on reading Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf) before making a start into astro-photography.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Hi, Dave and welcome to the forum.

Saying 'hi' to other new members is a great way of building up your posts while making others feel welcome.

Or ... take some widefield shots with your camera and lens and post them on the imaging section ... you will get feedback and can raise questions as to improvements ...

50 posts is really not that far away ...

Hi Demonperformer.

I have posted a couple of photo's earlier this evening.

Either 'Admin' are vetting them or they've gone into a black hole.:)

Hi there Dave, welcome to SGL :)

Lots of sound advice up above. I'd second that on reading Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf) before making a start into astro-photography.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Thank-you. I've made a note of it.

I see it's revised 2011.

I had a look through last week at some posts and photo's to see where others get a buzz and see there are so many sub-forums for different aspects.

Hi David and welcome. To rub salt in the wound, you have to have been a member for a month as well as achieving 50 posts! Oh, well, plenty of time to get you post count up then!

Enjoy

>you have to have been a member for a month as well

I'm not used to being 'guilty until proved innocent'.

It seems 'traders' are feared here, despite it being a legal activity.:)

Either 'Admin' are vetting them or they've gone into a black hole.:)

I'm pretty sure admin don't vet photos (before they appear, anyway!). Had a quick check on your profile, and you have only started this thread and have no albums. I think you may have discovered a black hole, so worth trying again.

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL, I see your posts are already up to 12 and you only joined yesterday, SGL is more like a large family full of friendly folks of both gender and all ages, there is an immense wealth of knowledge in Astrophotography which you can tap into, the rules appertaining to the "for sale" section may seem at first light, to be a little harsh, but our Admin have had good reason to bring this in, spend a little time with us and I am sure you will understand why this had to happen. Enjoy your Astronomy and photography :D

John.

Thank-you for your greetings Brantuk, Bredan of Borg and Glowjet.

Everyone has cool names, like subjects of Emporer Ming, 'Despatch war rocket ajax to bring back his body' cue the Queen music.

Demonperformer:

The photo's have now magically re-emerged from the black hole.

Glowjet.

Yes, it comes over as a happy family. On the 30 days, or should I say 30 nights, patience has never been a virtue of mine.

I've been thinking about that, an alias would be fun.

Interesting. When I first joined the forum I did have an alias (astrosnaps) but when I started meeting people at e.g. Kelling Star Party, I found it very strange being called by that name so changed to my real name. It is still pretty anonomous :D.

Dave

Interesting. When I first joined the forum I did have an alias (astrosnaps) but when I started meeting people at e.g. Kelling Star Party, I found it very strange being called by that name so changed to my real name. It is still pretty anonomous :D.

Dave

One summer 14 of us played softball in Regents Park.

On one team we had 6 Daves and one honoury Dave versus the rest.

I like your website - I've been to Belize too.

You are giving me ideas, I have a shed in one corner of the garden that could be replaced by a POD! In fact I live on a hill with a water tower down the road, now if...

Hi Dave

Welcome to SGL.

If you are near enough to Bedford, BAS have a meeting tomorrow night (25th) at Bedford School off De Pary's Avenue starting around 7:45. If you become a member we have a number of telescopes which are available for loan free of charge.

Let me know if you can come along and I will dither around (No change there then!) and look out for you when I arrive. Or PM me for my mobile phone number to give me a ring when you arrive.

Cheers,

Dave

I met Dave / Eagles Eye and around 30 others at the BAS meeting with 3 excelent speakers (including Eagle Eye) with content of varying complexity.

Some of the technical stuff took me back 35+ years to A level physics - and to complete that aura, we were in a classroom.

Outcome: Passion inflamed.

Thank-you Dave / Eagles Eye for the invitation and opportunity to meet fellow star/planet/satellite/iss gazers.

Hi,

I don't know whether to hijack this thread or start my own, but I'm another newbie from Bedfordshire so it seemed appropriate!

We went out and bought a SW200P earlier this year and we've had some sucess taking photos with it but without any tracking capability it was really difficult to capture deep sky objects. Got some good moon shots, but looking on the forums it looks like there's a long way to go yet!

I really enjoyed viewing the planets earlier this year, especially when we took the 'scope' on holiday with us to France where we were 1,000m up in the middle of nowhere - great seeing!

Just a shame it's been very cloudy recently (although the garden is breathing a sigh of relief) and all the planets have disappeared!

So, I managed to justify the Synscan upgrade for my birthday so I'll be out trying to fiddle with the mound to fit that upgade soon :D

I've already had some good advice on the Equipment forum, amazed by the speed and volume of responses!

Dan

Archived