Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spc900 guide cam help !!!!!

Hello

I tried using my spc900 unmodified with my 9x50 finderscope last night but couldn't seem to find any guide stars

I set everything up got everything working in phd slewed to vega so I could get the focus right on a easily visible star. Vega was showing on the phd screen got nice focus on the finder everything seemed ok I then slewed to my target but I could see any stars for phd to guide on I tried adjusting gain gamma etc but didnt really know what I was doing so I gave up. I tried defocusing to see if that showed anything but no luck

Anyone using this setup can help with the settings in phd so that the fainter stars show on the screen

Exposure,gain etc would be very helpful

I know some people struggle using this setup but others seem to get on just fine

Any help I would be grateful

Jake

I have used one of these cameras on an SW 80mm refractor with some success but you do need a reasonably bright guide star (and a dark sky!) so you may find that with a finder you will be restricted to brighter stars only for guiding.

dont you need to have the webcam modded for lx i mean not that i no much about guiding with a spc900 but its just a thought

Have read on here that people use it without it being modified. Just wondering what there settings in phd were. I can easily pick up bright stars with it

Will have another go tonight with different settings see how I get on then

Hi,

you can use it unmodded - I just broke mine trying to mod it - will have to buy another. I had mine on an 80mm F5 guide scope and it would sometimes take a while to find a bright enough star. I don't think a finder will be bright enough. It helps to have an easily adjustable guide mount - I made one that slews about 5 deg. in one axis, then you can use the guide ring screws to centre the target.

Theo

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old now, but i'm concidering to do exactly the same.

I already guide with a normal cheap CMOS webcam through the guidescope, and it works good once i find a bright enough star, but i really struggle to find any stars. Is the SPC900 much more sensitive then a normal webcam like the one i already have? I have this: Logitech QuickCam Fusion Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Or is it so that i will Need to modefy it for LX to use it for any stars less bright then the most bright stars you can see with the naked eye?

First thing I do after connecting the webcam in PHD is go to Camera dialog and bring the frame rate down to 5fps and the gain to about 3/4 of the way to the maximum on the right.

If it turns out that PHD can't do frame integration on an unmodified webcam, try other guiding software like MetaGuide.

Just orderd the bundle from morgans now, hope it will work as expected. ~£52 for the bundle including shipping to norway isn't too bad i think. :rolleyes:

Will probably make a new thread with feedback on how it works on the finderscope unmodded for guiding.

And thanks for teh tip on MetaGuide, haven't tried it before. It works a bit like APT wich stacks several pics quickly to create one brighter pic so you can guide after fainter stars with an unmodded camera?

Interestingly enough, I've just bought a 9x50 and an adapter from Modern Astronomy to connect my SPC to. Unfortunately I haven't have chance to get it set up yet. Judging by what I've see here and elsewhere I may have to LX mod it. I'd rather use a finderguider if I can instead of having to get a separate guidescope (keeps the domestic authorities satisfied;) )

Wayne, do you get any differential flexure with that setup?

Just starting out with astrophotography:o

A BIG learning curve!!

Using this set up as a cheap guide setup whilst learning before upgrading to a better system.

At the moment I keep my exposure times short to keep any flexure problems to a minimum.

Wayne

It will probably give you enough time to turn the worm once.

Ok:D

Going one step at a time.

Just glad to get PHD finding, locking on and tracking a star.

I have not had enough scope time recently.

Still got to check what max. image exposure time I can achieve before flexure shows.

Or indeed if I get any or how much?

Wayne

Archived