SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie Questions For Imaging

Skiddins

As a newbie who was never into photography I was going to borrow a Sony DSLR from a friend.

I have a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT, Skywatcher Delux 2x Barlow along with the kit EP's.

Exactly what will I require to allow me to take photo's at all with this equipment?

I'm afraid you'll have to think your speaking to a dummy when it come to this as I'm getting confused when trying to work out how attaching the camera changes the focal length and magnification etc.

At the moment I'm onky really intersted in Lunar and planetary shots etc until I have better knowledge.

Thanks for the patience. :)

SKiddins

Hi Skiddins,

There's no harm having a go taking lunar shots with a DSLR but you may be dissapointed with the image scale - because of the large chip of the DSLR, the moon will actually come out quite small. I use a DSLR for my deep sky imaging but for moon shots I actually go back to my Meade LPI camera which is basically the same thing as a webcam. The small chip gives a larger image scale and to get a good resolution image, I mosaic several panes to get a full moon image.

I appreciate you have the opportunity to borrow a DSLR, but you'd still need to buy the T-Ring and adaptor for it so you may be better spending your money on a suitable webcam for lunar work if that's what you want to image.

Regards

John

Archived