Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Dominant Eye

Because much of astronomy is about seeing objects through eyepieces, and most viewing is done with only one eye (binoculars excepted, obviously), human nature leads to viewing with our dominant eye. See Ocular Dominance

Several decades ago, I had surgery in the area of my neck and throat that damaged a nerve. One of the effects of the damage was that my right pupil does not dilate or contract as quickly as the other (Horner's Syndrome). This caused loss of depth perception and other problems which have diminished or disappeared with the passage of many years. Because of the damage, my dominant (right) eye became recessive and dominance shifted to the left eye over time.

Usually, dominance of the eye pairs with dominance of the hand. I am right-handed and my dominant eye is now my left eye. Decades of habit learned from birth conditioned me to use the right eye (before the damage), but decades of use have not retrained the habit. I usually try the right eye, say a few inappropriate words, then use the other eye. This causes problems with aiming and other activities.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon and if they would share how it affects their sight and their astronomical viewing.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant myself. As an opthamologist explained it to me although I'm naturally right handed my left eye has exceptionally good vision and so it overrides my right handedness on tasks that are visually based. I always use my left eye for observing.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm very intolerant of poor binoculars.

John

I'm right handed but left eye dominant myself. As an opthamologist explained it to me although I'm naturally right handed my left eye has exceptionally good vision and so it overrides my right handedness on tasks that are visually based. I always use my left eye for observing.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm very intolerant of poor binoculars.

John

I'm in the same boat as you, my left eye is the dominant one while I am right handed. I've never really thought about it though. :)

Right handed, with a left "master eye" too. Ironically it's the much more short sighted of the two (I wear glasses)! As a minor consolation it's also much less astigmatic, so I do get the possibility of "refocussing" at the eyepiece. Made my dart playing and (onetime, modest) spin bowling rather challenging though. :)

I would say my right eye is dominant, but I am not very good at shutting one eye at a time, and even less so with my right. This leads me to observe with my left (less good) eye which I find annoying. Even then I can not hold my left eye fully open whilst keeping my right eye shut. I am considering getting an eye patch but think my girl friend would laugh at me!

MS has given many problems with eyesight. Since I have been completely blind twice (the vision returned after about a month), I never completely trust what I see in front of me and continuously alternate from one eye to the other when viewing. I must say though that in the end, I always find myself resorting to my dominant eye (being the right).

My neurologist says that I will one day be blind. I can't think of a worse future for a sky-watcher / bird watcher like me. So,.. shine on rabbithutch and let the light make it's way through!

Isabelle

Right handed and a dominant right eye (even though my vision is poorer in my right eye). I can see more detail with my left eye, but it just isn't comfortable viewing with my non-dominant eye.

Just be different, I am mostly left handed but observe with my right eye.

The only time this have given me any issue was with archery in my youth. I used a left handed bow and had to learn to sight with my left eye to get a good straight draw. Once I worked it out, I was a fair shot. Haven't had a go in years though.

im right handed and naturally use my right eye...but that eye has a worse dioptre (-1) than my left eye (-0.25) caused by improper rifle use as a child...when my new scope arives i will test out if i have a difference, so im like Sarah, right hand/right eye

I'm right handed and left eyed, even though my left eye is the weaker of the two.

Surprisingly it causes the most problems when playing darts, as I aim as though the dart was being held in front of my left eye which it isn't. As such the darts end up flying off to the right of where I'm aiming. When I got my first 180 I was actually aiming for treble 5 each time, but with the aim off they all landed in the treble 20 bed instead!

Hey all new here and new to looking at the cosmos. I just went for my first ever eye test yesterday. not good. Been using reading glasses for 2 years and they just don't cut it anymore. Just got into astronomy and found out I could not see **** out of my right eye when looking thru the scope. Blurry and see what looks like a piece of plastic right smack dab in the middle of the eyepiece. Thought it was the scope until I looked thru another scope and it was the same thing. Tried the left eye and all was clear. So now I am a lefty eye looker but its real hard. Gonna have to some how figure out what to do about my rifles now too. Maybe the new glasses will fix the trouble.

I am the same as many, Right handed but observe with my left eye which is dominant.

Both eyes seem to perform similarly but using my left eye is much more comfortable.

One annoying thing is I have worse "floaters" in my left eye compared to my right. I have one smack bang in the centre of my vision, can become very irritating after a while....

Having had a major squint for all of my childhood my eyes/brain decided to only take notice of the left eye which was pointing the "right" way. This left me omni-miopic or one eyed, with no detail perception in my right eye making it no use for astro observing. This isn't too much of a problem with astro observing as the eyepiece of the dob comes straight out from the tube and can therefore be used with either eye. On the other hand it is quite literally a pain in the neck for the finder scope supplied with the scope which goes straight up and down the axis of the tube leading me to having to crane my neck around to look through it.

At some point I will get a right angle finder and the problem will be sorted.

On the other hand I never quite got used to shooting or archery with the gun/bow in the "wrong hand" leading me to give these up at an early age.

Archived