Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uv/Ir with Powermate

Mamsoth

I've recently bought a x5 TV powermate and wanted to ask a quick question. I think I already know the answer but just wanted to double check. Will there be any need to employ the use of a UV/IR cut filter when imaging with the powermate and a reflector?

I'm thinking no?

Cheers

Matt

You can use it (will help to limit UV haze sometimes) if you have a color camera.

Cheers Riklaunim, I use a UV/IR filter at the moment with my cheap old Revelation Barlow but had heard somewhere that the powermate was of a type that it didn't need any filtering? Is that not right?

The filtering isn't for the powermate..it's for the camera. Some cameras are sensitive to wavelengths outside visible and can show blue (UV) or red (NIR) halos.

Will the powermate not accentuate the halos in the way a cheaper barlow might?

Adding a UV cut filter will keep the dust out ;-)

No, with a reflector and a powermate you wouldn't get an issue with the optics. It wouldn't affect the light transmission either unless its a pretty poor filter with very low efficiency in visible light.

Adding a UV cut filter will keep the dust out ;-)

No, with a reflector and a powermate you wouldn't get an issue with the optics. It wouldn't affect the light transmission either unless its a pretty poor filter with very low efficiency in visible light.

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to getting my first results as I've always tended to use cheaper barlows in the past, hopefully I'll be blown away by the difference.

...And the dust cover aspect is vital for me as my preowned ccd looks like it's been tarred and feathered : )

Yes, dust is a major problem! However hard I try I still seem to end up with a few specks of dust on the sensor. I keep any more out with a UV/IR filter. I think the only way to eradicate all dust would be in a clean-room, followed by sealing the space in front of the sensor. With the window/filter being further away from the sensor, the odd spec of dust will be well out of focus and not show. A lot of dust will reduce the resolution (and light transmission).

Archived