Narrowband

So, will you risk it?

Brent

Last year, when Eyjafjallajokull erupted I remember going out over a few mornings to a thick coat of ash on the car.

The BBC is now reporting that the ash cloud from the latest eruption of Grimsvotn will probably reach our skies in the early hours of Tuesday.

I think I'll be leaving the 'scope packed away for a few days yet, I don't fancy having to clean my primary! (not that the clouds look to be clearing before next weekend anyway.)

We held the SGL5 star party in the middle of the last eruption - no jet trails to pollute the sky, which was nice :)

I didn't notice any reluctance in the folks there to use their scopes :p

I'm more worried that my Mum is flying in from Oz next week, so I'm hoping it doesn't disrupt the flights too much. I can see her now stuck in Abu Dhabi for a fortnight.

Apparently it's a different type of ash this time, a bit coarser so it's expected to drop out the sky a bit quicker this time!

Last year I didn't notice any ash on my scopes etc despite use but after SGL6 when I went home there was a very thin layer of dust on the exposed bit of the top of my pier.

James

Unfortunately Iceland has recently taken part in 'The Country that Cut Everything' and therefore the residents have been left to deal with the volcano themselves however this has been hampered by chavs on jetskis and husky poo due to the lack of street lights!!!

Archived