Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second Cumbria - the preparation

Hey all, that sounds a bit like the title of a film sequel doesn't it?

I'm starting to put together all the items I'll need for two days in a tent and to be honest, its been so long since I've done any kind of camping at all, I'm a little rusty.

In point of fact, the last time I was camping was during my self inflicted hobo era, when I spent six months living in a tent on the side of the Murray River in Victoria, Australia. That was twenty years and a continent ago. The silly things youth does to itself.

Anyway, I'm assuming I wont be able to use gum tree saplings as impromptu tent poles, nor will a clever arrangement of tarpaulins and bamboo poles work as a sleeping shelter, so I find myself essentially starting from scratch as far as setting myself up goes.

Given the nature of the expedition, things are going to be a little backwards - active through the night, asleep during the day - so even though it is technically late spring, I'm expecting to need warm gear to be walking around in, a dry place to sleep and foodie type stuff.

I'm putting together a little list (oh yes, I have a little list) but if anyone else feels like chipping in ideas, I'm always happy to listen to people more experienced in camping in these climes.

Just as a point of interest, I checked the weather forecast just now, after wading through the doublespeak and backside covering verbiage, it looks like we have a cautious note of optimism for the weekend.

BBC Weather | CA6

Not really liking the mention of an anti-cyclone though - should I be looking for Michael Fish here?

Alan

I have, yeah, I'm working my way through that list - my wife is the Keeper Of All Things though and at the moment she's sitting in a room where the kids are playing Dance Dance Revolution while she sorts out an mp3 playlist for the next week's gym attendance.

If I go in there, my head WILL explode and thats no fun for anyone.

Alan

Hi Everyone,

How excited am I that there is a new thread about Cumbria 2 and what a great thread it will be. Wowzers, Thankyou.

It does sound like a film sequel doesn't it :)

Weather wise - I am scared to even talk weather. I darn't jinx things, and I have been checking out 5 different sites - all different reports. It seems Weather Outlook isn't too far away from the truth, where does everyone else look.

It has been pretty cold here the last few nights - Warm jacket needed.

It was my feet that were cold last time - Thick socks.

My hands also - Gloves.

(Perhaps I have a bit of a circulation thing going on.)

I forgot to bring pillows.

I was cold through the night - I had to put my jacket back on. The 2nd night Val brought a quilt.

I hope we all have a good time. I am sure we will. I am getting really excited.

I am going to go and compose a little email to you all now.

Speak soon

Nina

Archived