SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What solar telescope ?

what is the best value solar telescope out there. I am not looking to buy one now but i would like to within a few months. budget will be around £1000 to a very maximum of £1300.

any advice will be much appreciated :)

I assume you're thinking in terms of observing the Sun in Ha??

Do you already have a telescope and mounting?

Some Ha filters can be fitted to the front of a small refractor and give very good results (SolarView, Solar Max, Lunt) you may be lucky to find a good s/h 60mm around your budget.

Another option is to buy and modify a PST to an 80mm aperture. 1000gbp would cover it (just!)

Coronado SolarMax 60 Solar Telescope BF10 Package: Best Deals On Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces and Accessories - Skywatcher, Meade, William Optics, Bosma, Bresser, Celestron, Helios At Ace Cameras - Canon, Leica, Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Avia

This looks like the older model where the front etalon filter can be removed an fitted to a longer focal length scope (ie ED80).

This can also be double stacked with a PST etalon to give better bandwidth.

The Lunt 60 scopes are good value for money and quite versartile. The Blocking filter numbers (ie B600, B1200, B1800 etc) refer to the clear aperture of the blocking filter. The larger the number, the larger the clear aperture. Where it is an advantage is in imaging and in using undriven alt-az mounts, where the clear aperture allows the Sun to remain in view for longer. Most people go for the B1200 filter and do not regret it.

Ant

I was looking recently and you have the entry level PST / Lunt 35 scopes at around the £500 mark with not much in the way of accessories or a mount. The next step up is around the £1500-£2000 and then £4-10k

An expensive business this solar game!

Might have a go at that some time in the future but have a lot of other thing I want to buy before that! I have the mount and the next thing is an obsy with pier. A dark side scope or two and maybe half decent imaging camera come next - then maybe Ha solar. I'm already equipped to do white solar.

I have a Lunt LS60/B1200 and find it deeply rewarding. I don't doubt that competitors are also good. As a professional provider I was not up for any non standard or modified equipment on insurance grounds. Everyone from beginners to diehards has enjoyed the Lunt. The PST (I don't want to upset anyone here) did not quite get there for me and I felt the view it offered would ask just a bit too much of beginners in terms of eyepiece observational skill.

In the Lunt, proms are big, bright and unmistakable. A first time solar observer yesterday compared his view through the Lunt with his first view of Saturn. That's what I'm after.

Olly

Archived