Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help on casters for slideing roof?

Hi im in the planning stage of building my observatory,im buying a 8x6 apex roof shed then going to convert roof to slideing can anybody who has converted their own shed tell me what size or type casters they used for the slideing roof and possible maybe their design or a thread of how to convert the apex roof,i understand i will have to probly brace the roof up aswell as the side walls,any help would be greatful.

I used six of these:

Rubber Tyres Fixed 50mm Pack of 4 | Screwfix.com

on my 6x6 shed. Have a look at my "Blog in my sig" for my conversion of a metal shed to an observatory - you may have to go back a few pages!! The principles will be the same for a wooden shed. I must admit the metal one is dead easy to convert - not a single extra hole to drill in the shed at all!!

There are a few more designs in the DIY section of the forum - and dozens more on the web.

I have a 7x7 pent shed and have used 2 packs of these @ £9.15 for 4. Pictures here. Most people seem to favour steel angle or channel to roll them in, but I found that a simple angle of tanalised wood, screwed and glued, seems to work perfectly.

I hope this helps...

--------------------

Too slow...snap!

I used 75mm diameter ones with hard rubber tyres, and bearings. two each side of the roof. placed to bear equal loading of the 8x6 roof. They move effortlessly, and silently.

Ron.

It just occured to me that you should note the 50mm wheel from screwfix has an overall height of 70mm - nearly 3". That is quite a lot when fitting between roof and the top of the wall. You need a good design of "covering strip" to eliminate the gap - I used a series of 150mm x 20mm planks on my own obsy.

Good point, Bizibilder. Currently replacing mine anyway! Eyeing up "proper" PVC 150mm Facia boards. Will make the obsy more hermetic (greater overlap) and allow attachment of (recently acquired) gutter. If I ever get bigger wheels, may even allow for adjustment too. Much cheaper are PVC facia covers over conventional wood. Or even proper (treated) timber alone! (Doh) :)

It just occured to me that you should note the 50mm wheel from screwfix has an overall height of 70mm - nearly 3". That is quite a lot when fitting between roof and the top of the wall. You need a good design of "covering strip" to eliminate the gap - I used a series of 150mm x 20mm planks on my own obsy.

Because the runners go on the inside, you can put them any distance apart - the height of the casters doesnt matter. Covering boards I would say are required for any RORO. I made my split high up on the shed, under the eaves of the roof, and put up covering boards with silicon sealant to stop ingres behind the board. Only the rear side of the shed is difficult to cover - I put that board on hinges and covered it with felt, and I simply lift the rear board before moving the roof.

Cheers

Archived