Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello and thank you!

Lee

I find my self regularly sitting for hours reading points of interest and reviews posted on this fantastic site.

This is the first forum that I feel comfortable to join, and I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to you all for playing a large part in my intro into astronomy.

My interest in the subject of our night skies began with the book, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Within the book I found ideas and facts about our universe and solar system that were put in simple, easy to understand English! (Something which I find is rare beyond the book and this forum.)

My interest has grown dramatically over the last 6 months and I now want to move from visual and binocular observations to the all important first purchase of a telescope…

Thanks again,

Lee.

Hi Lee and Hello

You might not believe this, but that book is exactly the thing that got me into astronomy about eight months ago. I've been an avid user of this great forum ever since, and since last month am the proud owner of a CPC 1100. As i keep saying to folk who join, the is one of the friendliest and helpful sites you will ever use. I hope you have as much fun contributing as i've had.

All the best

Psychobabbler

PS am now reading Bryson's "life and time of the thunderbolt kid" and loving it...

Welcome Lee to the lounge.

The first 'scope decision depends on your intended targets to some extent and has been discussed before for many scenarios. If you do a search on here you'll find loads of food for thought, but any questions can be stuck in equipment discussion or wherever.

BTW we are really good at spending other people's money :lol:

Captain Chaos

Hi Lee

Welcome. I'm in a similar situation, although I've recently ordered my first telescope (it's apparently on a slow boat across the Atlantic, but should be here soon). In the end, I went for a Celestron NexStar 6SE, for it's portability and GoTo capability, but considered lots of others. I am currently borrowing a 6" reflector with equatorial mount, and that helped me make up my mind (i.e. I didn't want one like that, because it's cumbersome to move and to find stuff with - at least for beginner me anyway). I guess you have to decide what are the most important criteria for you and then work out your budget, and then add some, and then add some more, etc.. :lol:

Hope you enjoy it here and get the scope that's right for you.

Cheers, Martin

Archived