Narrowband

The optimum e/p for DSO's

The last time I saw the sky (xxxx it) I managed to pick up M81-82, by using a Silva compass and Wixey-the thrill was-well,you know.I was using a 13mm Hyperion in my 8" Dob giving me about 92x. What please is the sort of optimum mags I should aim at to give me the best look at these mysterious smudges? And what Hyperion should I get next!? Or something different for DSO's.?

Before getting my 13mm Hyperion I used my 32mm GSO plossl more than any other EP, particularly for DSO hunting. I read a post a while ago which explained the difference in field of view between the two (68 vs 52) meant a 24mm Hyperion would give the same view as the 32mm, but with better contrast.

So I'd like a 24mm Hyperion :)

I'm not sure there is an optimum eyepiece for DSO's because they (the DSO's) come in all shapes and sizes !.

Personally, with moderate light pollution to contend with, I find 20mm, 13mm and 8mm the most useful focal lengths for deep sky objects. I have a 31mm but that's used mostly as a finder eyepiece as the background skyglow is more apparent at lower magnifications. On really dark nights it is good for extended objects such as the Veil Nebula, M31 and framing a group of DSO's in the same field of view though.

The lowest power you should consider (forgetting for the moment the different AFOV offerings on the market) is one which gives a 7mm exit pupil. Exit pupil=aperture/magnification.

So for your 8" f5 (1000mm fl?) the lowest magnification would be 200/7 = x28; this would need an eyepiece of 1000/28 = 36mm.

A standard 32mm would be a good choice.

Archived