1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Capturing Saturn Issues, From A Newbie...

mstaines

As a complete novice andnewbie to this forum, I would like to ask the following :

I have a Celestron Astromaster 90AZ, plus Philips Toucan PRO with lens adaptor...

Last night I tried to capture Saturn and after 2 hours finally managed to capture a short video. I struggled with my 3x Barlow, so just ended up using the webcam straight into the telescope eyepiece holder (Sorry, not sure of its correct term). I managed to capture a reasonable video, showing the rings etc.

However, I have looked at other peoples videos of Saturn on YTube and they all seem to manage to capture saturn in the middle of the screen, whereas as my video shows Saturn passing across the screen then out of shot...

I think this may be why I found it so difficult to capture using the 3x Barlow...

Would appreciate any advice from all you experts out there...

I am based in the UK (Not sure if thats relevant, but thought I'd mention it)...

Your problem stems from your AZ mount. Because your mount is unmotorised you will find it difficult to keep the target centred on the sensor for any length of time. Saturn will move across the field of view of your unmotorised AZ mount very quickly, especially with a 3x barlow attached.

Peter