1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

So what now?

OK i got my bins nice set of 10 x 50 im intersted in checkin out some planets and looking at some stars what would be a good starter for me.... any advice would be appreciated ..... thanks

Matt :)

yeah i downloaded stellarium ... im giving binos a go till i saved up enough for a decent scope......... what should i expect from binos tho ... not expecting too much .... thanks for advice

Matt

I think there are some star clusters that you can view with binos, I'd also try and figure out some of the constellations, this will be a great help if you were to buy a scope later on.

I have several nice activity sheets for binocular observing that I use in my astronomy class. You can search for "join my astronomy class" on the beginner's forum and download them for free.

PM me if you need any help!

Dan

I've had some lovely sights of the Double Cluster with my 10x50s. It is quite easy to find, I had a quick google and found this article

In my experience, if you want to view planets with your binos, use a tripod. The shake you inevitably get after holding up the binos for a while is so frustrating. If you can't wait, try Jupiter in the early morning sky. Just persist, have regular breaks, and try to lean against something to steady yourself. See if you can spot some 'dots' either side of the 'disk' of Jupiter - that was a very satisfying sight for me :)

Definitely download Stellarium - it has a 'night vision' mode so you can use it outside/in a near by darkened room (works for me!) so you can pop in and check what you are seeing against the live representation on the screen. It is an invaluable resource for helping you find your way around. It really works for me, I use it nearly everytime I go out. If you zoom in on Jupiter, for instance, it will show you the positions of the moons of Jupiter in relation to the planet. A great way to wrap up an observing session and very satisfying to be able to tell people exactly which Jovian moon you saw :p

Don't expect too much. Jupiter will look like a 'kind of round-ish disk' (from my observation log) - it is definitely not a point of light but a solid object. You will see moons. Saturn has some 'substance' - it is not just a point of light - and it appears to be a funny shape - if the conditions were amazing I could sometimes detect a 'bulge' at the middle - the rings? I hoped so! Open star clusters are lovely objects to have a go at. Because you have the wide field of view with binoculars, detecting them is easier, and the overall view takes in a lot more detail.

Another nice one is M42 Orion's Nebula - you'll have to keep that one up your sleeve til winter though.

Seen as we are approaching Summer and so Summer Triangle season.. keep in mind Brocchi's Cluster. It looks like an upside down coat hanger! Because of the distinctive shape it was so surprising to see, once you locate it. I was very pleased with myself!!

I wish you luck.

Edited by ashenlight