Narrowband

upgrade dilema

ok guys here is my dilema i have a 3 month old celestron nextstar 127 slt goto mak,but have been thinking about selling it and possibly buying a skywatcher 200p flextube auto dob ,really like the look of these, think they might be a bit better for dso,s and having tracking (started getting a few pics which i really enjoy) might be the sort of dob to suit me.

also i do like the scope i already have but would like to see more dso,s have been thinking about better quality eyepieces (maybe 8mm and 32mm televue plossl,s) .wondering if there is any other ways to upgrade and get more from the scope i have or go for the dob as it might be more future upgradeable :)

your thoughts would be much appreciated :p

If it's better views of deep sky objects that you want then you really need two things:

1. more aperture

2. dark skies

The best eyepieces available won't substitute for the above, unfortunately :)

Hi

Whilst I think the 8" Dob is a great scope, even a flextube Goto isn't really a DS imaging set up.

For DS imaging an equatorial mounted scope is the way to go.

IMO if you wanna upgrade for better DS observing I would go with a manual Dob, which will save you some money, Then if you wanna get into AP add a giant GEM later.

Regards Steve

I'd keep the Mak and go with the idea of buying a normal dob, and consider a bigger GEM in the future. The TV plossls are popular but a plossl is still a plossl when it comes to 52 degree FOV. There are widefield options which will take advantage of the dob's extra aperture. I like the 68 degree FOV of my Hyperion, but there are other choices too.

Just my 2p :)

thanks twotter, really keen on a dob but i do like my mak very sharp on the moon and saturn think it might be even better with better eyepieces. just not too bothered with goto tbh i like to be able to track though which is why i was thinking Sky-Watcher Skyliner-200P FlexTube AUTO but in a total dilema :)

If properly collimated and cooled down a dob can product some very similar results for viewing the moon and planets. But its larger and the mak wins for ease of use on and alt mount.

You wont be manually tracking with an auto dob, thats what the motors are there for. But you may perhaps want to consider whether you are seriously interested in DSO imagining and whether the sound with bother you. You also need a power pack to keep re charging etc.

The televue plossls are a great start into the world of high end eyepieces and second hand they provide a massive upgrade from original supplied EPs.

HTH

have a powerpack for me mak so not a prob, as far as imaging goes i am a total novice anyway, i think it is something i will get more serious about in years to come but at the moment just the fact i can capture anything is incredible to me so i think an auto dob would sufice , i would like to see dso,s havent found any with the mak yet.

do you think a 8mm and 32mm tv plossl would help in any way ?

Yes they are both cracking eyepieces. I had the 32mm for a long time and it is considered a classic. But the eye relief and exit pupil was slightly too much for me and my scope, so I opted to upgrade to a 24mm panoptic which gives me exactly the same area of sky.

I still have the 8mm plossl as it fits nicely in my set and still provides great views. It has been said that it has a slight coffee coloured filter to it (all the tv plossls I think) and this actually helps to bring out detail on saturn and jupiter etc. The eye relief and size of glass is quite small.

DSO's to first try a the moment could be M3 and M13, along with the ring nebula in lyra.

You can get some good results with a webcam and auto dob with planets and the moon for mosiacs. Just search some keywords at the top :)

So long as you are imaging planets and viewing dso's the 200P auto is an excellent choice. If budget allows and the 200P is less than a year old and in excellent condition, then I'd go for the upgrade. It's gonna be a massive change to the 127 which is really a starter scope (decent as it is). My problem was letting go of my first scope lol. You do get a bit of an attachment to them :)

(FLO may be able to help you here - worth giving them a call to discuss any options they can offer)

the Sky-Watcher Skyliner-200P FlexTube AUTO will be brand new brantuk, i will give flo a ring/mail at some stage to weigh up my options, i am finding it hard to part with the mak. but i do want to move on from my starter scope.so i take it the 200p is more of a serious scope ?, i also think you have hit the nail on the head as far as my requirements, (imaging planets and viewing dso,s ) this is exactly what i want to do at this stage :)

An 8" aperture will give you a heck of a lot more to view than the 127 and it's still capable of tracking planets in alt/az - so it seems to fit your requirements very well. Brand new is great - so long as you get a good deal on the trade in. Sorry I can't help with valueing the 127 but generally 70-80% of retail is a good guide depending on age/condition.

Bear in mind you may also want to upgrade ep's with the 200P to take advantage of the wider views. It can get addictive lol. :)

Archived