Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Co-Operative Imaging...

fatwoul

So I'm currently trying to make the decision between the 314 and 383, as several other MN190 users have done before me. My gut tells me I want the 383, but I've had a thought...

Is it ever heard of for people with identical setups (but separated by geography) to co-operate in the formation of an image? What I mean by that is, has anybody ever tried getting together with a group of other images, and each of them tackling R,G,B and L exclusively, and then between them combining the images?

If the rigs are the same, and the cameras oriented as close as possible to each other, and with a lot of co-ordination, would this be workable?

It would mean that imagers like myself, under fairly naff skies, would be able to effectlvely quadruple their exposure times.

I ask the question at this moment, because I know there are more MN190 users who have 314s, and if I thought there was enough possibility/interest in such projects, it might alter my decision about which camera to get, in favour of a 314.

No reason why it shouldn't work....just chuck all the images into Registar - it will register just about anything with anything.

Take a look at this thread.. http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/138671-registar-templates-large-mosaics.html

Thats an image I "borrowed" from the net, and registered my image over it.

It's entriely possible, and as Martin has just pointed out, you don't even need to have indentical rigs as Registar would do all the hard work re-sizing images if necessary.

Tony..

Excellent. And encouraging to know both that Registar would elliminate the need for identical equipment, and that TJ (a fellow MN190 user!) has already successfully participated in such a project.

Thanks, all.

Hi Fatwoul - This is something that Nadeem, Coco and I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago. I need an awful lot of practice before I'm ready though (the new 314L+ has been taking darks for the last 20+ hours!), and of course there's also the potential issue that, dependent upon our available sky views, not all of us may be able to "see" the chosen object at any given time, but it's certainly worth a shout.

Although I don't have registar yet, please give me a shout if you want to try something, and I'll let you know if it's in my "imaging area" :)

It sounds like a fun project if you have a well motivated bunch of participants, appropriate weather, ample opportunity, and time. Of course a lot of folks enjoy remote "robotic" imaging with distant observatory scopes these days.

But I say go for it and good luck - look forward to the results. :)

I've done joint projects with my friend and guest TomO'D. Registar makes it all much easier. One good thing to do is for one person to go after the Ha and another the colour, that way mosaic-ing in different background values and colour balances is less of a hassle. PixInsight will be a boon to anyone charged with the final assembly because it can neutralize backgrounds very well.

My thinking is that you could do the teamwork either to go deep or to go wide (big mosaics). For deep, what about the soap bubble nebula in about a metre of FL since many of us have that? It needs absolutely hours of Ha and O111 but the RGB would mainly be for star colour and could be quite quick.

I'm up for it.

Olly

It might be open to more people if you use an ED80 as the imaging scope, not everyone is lucky enough to have an MN190. It would be perfect for something like the veil or pacman nebula in HST colours.

Even better would be M16 because its the kind of target thats not around long enough to hammer properly.

I would be happy to work on a coop image with people as well. I have Registar and would be happy to do the "heavy lifting" :) Right now I just started an 18-20 panel mosaic of the Pelican and NA Nebulas in narrowband if anyone wants to join in with me to cut down the amount of panels (and therefore clear nights) I have to spend on this just lemme know.

It might be open to more people if you use an ED80 as the imaging scope, not everyone is lucky enough to have an MN190. It would be perfect for something like the veil or pacman nebula in HST colours.

Even better would be M16 because its the kind of target thats not around long enough to hammer properly.

It sounds like, thanks to Registar, the contributors wouldn't need to have the same scope anyway. Maybe someone with an ED80 could provide the wider field, and those with narrower FOV could contribute the object detail? It might be a nice chance for us newbies to work with you veterans, although it might be a bit of a one-way deal! :)

Finger in the air calculation as the only way to get a real FoV is by plate solving and the resolution is dependent on seeing.

Using CCDCalc, the 16ic would give me 18.7x25 arcmin FoV at 2.28arcsec/pixel. Once I get the 383L+ this will change to 69.3x93 arcmin FoV at 1.66arcsec/pixel.

Question is - do we attempt to get the spectra (given different filters/configurations, differing camera QE over the spectrum)? With a UV/IR cut and LP filter - you're almost calling the resulting frame luminance too..

Just to show it can be done, there is an APOD that used 4 different SGL user's data, all from different OTAs and cameras (Myself, Maurice Toets, Daz and TJ). The data was thrown together as required, and wasnt really a "lets image this area" project, but results are pleasing enough. Registar makes the alignment and rescaling just so easy (I understand that Pixinsight can also do that), it was just a case of layering the data in as required.

APOD: 2010 October 5 - Horsehead and Orion Nebulas

More details here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/115321-widefield-orions-sword-hargb.html

20100928_orion_sword_mftoet_stevel_daz_tj_wip6_800.jpg

That M42 is an example of depth! Funnily enough I've shared data with myself (!) viz; I did two 5.5 hour M42s for my OSC/Mono shootout in AN and then realized I could combine them for myself. I did so and the data was so deep that it was an absolute dream to process. I supppose that, when you combine data from different cameras of similar quality, there should be a further dose of intrinsic noise reduction since the random in each will be diluted and the signal reinforced as per normal stacking.

Not certain about this. Anyone?

Olly

Archived