Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader solar safety film

inksmithy

Hiya guys,

I just finished making a solar filter this afternoon and it seems to working really well, I was having a great time looking at the sunspots and watching them change over time.

Thing is though, as I was putting it together, I was at the point where I was putting the cardboard rings together with the film between them.

I had double sided tape on the surface of the cardboard rings and as advised on the website, I lightly dropped the ring onto the cardboard. All good.

Got the second ring on and nicely aligned, but as I was cutting the excess film away, the two rings fell apart, one side had metallised film on it, the other side had what looked and felt like clear plastic sheet stuck to it.

After a bit of cursing, I got the clear plastic sheet off the ring and - figuring the clear film was just protecting the film in transit, put the rings together, finished the cell and went to use it.

I'm wondering though, is that clear film just transit protection? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. Could it be IR protection maybe?

Alan

Archived