SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first (drunken) light

Well my 8" Dob arrived at the weekend and after a few cloudy nights decided to have my first go in the garden last night. Thought I would mark the ocassion with a bottle of fizz - Waiting for it to go dark so drank most of the bottle before I got outside.

Sat down and found Saturn almost straight away using the 10mm lens. Absolutely brilliant. Could even see 3 of its moons. Didn't seem to have much trouble finding the bright stars in the finder scope but thats were it stopped. I'm really struggling with the upside down back-to-front aspect of the finder/scope at the moment.

Two questions:

1. Was looking at getting the Skywatcher economy 2 x Barlow (£15 from 365 Astronomy). Would this be any good or should I spend a little more on a barlow.

2. Bit of a silly one so apologies: when Im looking for DSO's if I come accross one will I see it straight away (like you would with a star) or do I need to leave the scope in that area to gather the light from the DSO first (or is this just for astrophotography).

All-in-all Im very pleased with my first go. I know I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn. My main issue at the moment is the backwards way I'm having to navigate around the sky.

Forecast for clear skies tonight so looking forward to having another go (minus the fizz though)

Leigh

Hi Leigh

You will soon get used to upside down-ness! Especially if you keep both eyes open when looking through the finder.

As for the SW x2 Barlow. I had one with my scope and tbh they are not that good. I will be upgrading soon.

As for finding DSO's. Make sure you eyes are dark adjusted and no other light is around. Stick the scope in the area of a DSO and move the scope around (slowly) and you will probably pick it up in your peripheral vision. Some just cannot be seen when looking at them directly. Another method is when in right area, tap the scope tube gently, again you will prob catch sight of a 'Fuzzy' patch.

If you havn't already, download Stellarium. Great tool to help you find objects.

Hoping for clear skies

You should see the dso right away - no light gathering accumulates... :-) but there are some tricks to help see the faint ones. If you look to the side of a dso, so you are not looking straight at the dso, it will look brighter as the middle of our eye is for color vision not night vision.

Another trick is to tap the scope. This jiggles the image and our night vision is designed to see moving objects.

Good luck!

Archived