SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New or second hand?

Finally, after a month of waiting, now I am going to get myself a scope! Yay!! :eek:

I've planned to get Skywatcher Explorer 150P with EQ3-2, for which FLO is asking £280 and on the other hand, Simms is offering his one for £265 (plus travel cost from kent to essex to collect), where I am getting motors instead of Crayford focuser and 2X barlow

Please advise which one would be good to get. Also I read about the unavailability of this scope at FLO, cant remember where but I am pretty sure I read it here somewhere. So what do you people suggest?

As long as you are buying from another astronomer - not someone who was frustrated, abused the scope, and dumped it in the shed to rot :eek:, you should be OK.

The important thing is to inspect the optics (look at some objects, even during the day!), you can get a great deal.

Just don't go and buy 'blind' from Flea-bay or similar places - you are not likely to get a good result that way.

Dan

this is one of those things where you have to make the call, ultimately an article is worth what you are prepared to pay. If you feel ripped off at that price then it's not worth it. If you are happy with it at that price then it's a bargain. The scope is in good nick by the looks of it. other than that I couldn't say

I've planned to get Skywatcher Explorer 150P with EQ3-2, for which FLO is asking £280 and on the other hand, Simms is offering his one for £265 (plus travel cost from kent to essex to collect), where I am getting motors instead of Crayford focuser and 2X barlow

Don't doubt that Simms is in fine condition - but surely the travel costs from Kent to Essex and back will be near or more than the £15 saving AND you'll be getting a new scope + warranty - no brainer IMHO

General rule of thumb: even in excellent condition, a scope (or anything else) is not usually worth more than 60-70% of original value. I base that on my experience selling new and used optical equipment in a shop for about 8 years here in the States. I would say that if your cost + travel = New Scope cost, it isn't worthwhile. As Morning Major said, warranty and after-sale support can be worth a lot - expecially for a beginner.

The thing that can tip the balance is accessories. A scope with accessories used that is priced near what a plain (no accessories) scope sells for new may still be worthwhile -- IF you are getting accessories that do what you want. No sense in paying for some one else's 'white elephant' eyepiece or filters you don't want or need.

I'm not trying to disparage the seller, or the equipment involved... just remember "Let the Buyer beware!"

Caveat Emptor, mate!

Dan

I'm inclined to agree. I think it's a reasonable price for what it is, but if I lived in Kent I wouldn't buy it because after the cost of fuel and my time, to me it wouldn't be worth the saving over a new one. Other people might feel differently of course, and if you're desperate to have something now then not having to wait also has some value.

James

Thanks people, I think I'd stick to FLO then. Its the warranty that's making the big difference and also, I dont think I'd need motors at this stage for viewing, but the crayford focuser and barlow could be just great!

Thanks once again! You have been wonderful!

These are easy upgrades you can add once you have your own scope. A new focuser is an easy DIY install. :eek:

Dan

Thanks people, I think I'd stick to FLO then. Its the warranty that's making the big difference and also, I dont think I'd need motors at this stage for viewing, but the crayford focuser and barlow could be just great!

Thanks once again! You have been wonderful!

Caveat Emptor, mate!

that takes me back to latin lessons :eek:

caveat lector for anything i write here, but i agree with all the above posts, a £500 scope brand new isnt worth more than £300 new in mint condition, significantly less if not.

As for accessories, again EP's can be a personal choice, if you can get some televues or equivalent chucked in with it, then you can start to factor that in, if not i would buy the EP's that you want brand new.

Archived