SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carry Cases

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought myself a Skywatcher 200P and and HEQ5 mount. Because I live in a flat and in a light polluted area I need to travel to darker skies. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for soft bags for the scope and tripod and a hardcase for the mount?

I've seen a few online but they are quite expensive. I'm minded to try and make something myself by buying some foam.

Any suggestions welcomed

Ed

If you are at all handy with a sewing machine, you can make your own. Nothing quite fit my scope properly, so I worked one up DIY style and it works fantastic. Cost pennies compared to buying something - probably better workmanship, too! :eek:

Dan

I've been lookingfor something myself, I was hoping to slightly modify a coolbag with some ply on the inside to make it rigid and support the scope but could not find a bag long enough. dont want to spend too much so have decided that this weekend i am going to make my own case with some MDF and some foam and a carry handle/strap. Hoping it goes to plan and i dont end up with a lot of cut up MDF and my scope still in the corner of my living room!

Hi Jana,

Not sure what MDF is, but my DIY cases turned out quite well. Measure carefully and you should have no problem... the shape is pretty simple after all! :eek:

Dan

MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard). We make everything out of it here but its illegal to use it in the states that’s why you haven’t heard of it.

I'd be really interested to see photos of anyones efforts, i have a C9.25 and the cases just for the OTA is £500+ and thats without finding something for the mount and tripod. Its also heavy enough without having to make it out of timber.

Thanks for the tip on MDF!

I think you'll find that an SCT is pretty rugged, and a padded bag will work well, especially if you put a strap on that you can thread a seat belt through. This would allow you to put it upright in a passenger seat in any auto.

I would suggest two layers of cotton canvas, separated by a layer of 1/4" high density (closed cell) foam, and a top-to-bottom zipper. You could even put a thin fiberboard circle at the bottom, but I don't think it's needed. The whole thing wouldn't weigh more than a Kg or so, and would fold away compactly when not in use.

I did something similar for my scope (not an SCT, but the principle is the same) and you can see it <HERE>. If you want more details, please PM me.

Dan

MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard). We make everything out of it here but its illegal to use it in the states that’s why you haven’t heard of it.

I'd be really interested to see photos of anyones efforts, i have a C9.25 and the cases just for the OTA is £500+ and thats without finding something for the mount and tripod. Its also heavy enough without having to make it out of timber.

On a related note. Does anyone know of anywhere that would be able to cut a foam insert for the HEQ5 into a Peli style case?

I'm not sure exactly what foam would be best at the moment. Either the low desnity spongy type foam which has a lot of give or a denser type foam which has more ridgidity. Any suggestions?

cheers

Archived