Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron or Skywatcher?

Hi, need some advice please. I started researching to purchase a telescope late in 2010. Budget started at £400 but rose to £1000 when I decided that the best all round scope for me would be Advanced C8 - SGT XLT. However just having decided, along came the price rises. Steve at FLO made a very generous discount offer, as I got caught over a weekend, but it still made my eyes water! It started me thinking, am I doing the right thing spending well over £1k without any experience. I then went back to looking at refractors, which is where I started. APO is out due to cost, I might as well go back to the C8, so a good achromatic within the original budget seems to be the way. I will never get into serious astrophotography, all I may want to do is the occasional short exposure with my DLSR. My purpose is mainly observing lunar & planets and I live in a fairly dark site so minimal travelling, if any.

In the mix Celestron Omni 120 XLT on CG4 or SW Evostar 120 on EQ5, both of which I can source just below £400. Question is which is the best scope? Does anyone have experience of both? The advice I have had so far is that the Celestron edges the SW on build quality, however the SW comes with more goodies. I do want to buy the best scope! Or should I wait until Autumn and buy a TAL 100RS on an EQ5? Just seem so far away but then its 6 months since the quest started. Any help will be appreciated :eek:

From the fact that Celestron=Skywatcher and both scopes have the same specification that optically they are identical.

So it comes down to the quality of the various attachments - focusser etc.

For that size I would avoid the option of the EQ3-2 mount, too light for a scope of that size and weight. EQ5 should be fine.

I would advise budgetting for dual motors, if that isn't already in the plan. Makes tracking objects easier, the motors do it, and reduces shake, so better viewing.

Waiting is an option as the sky isn't really dark until after 10:00 these days and it is getting light again by 4:00. SO not that much dark time, and until mid/end June it will get less. In effect you may not use it a great deal for a while.

I started out with similar ideas, nice large scope, then thought "What if I don't use it?" Bought a small one and to be honest never regretted it. Find a small scope gets used a lot more.

If the TAL is what you really want then wait, old saying: Better to regret something you have done then something you haven't.

Thank you Capricorn. Unfortunately I cannot see the scopes side by side, I know they are made by the same company in China and should be optically identical but Celestron make a lot of hand finished lens and XLT coatings plus a 2 year warranty. The EQ5 is a given for this size of scope - motors are a good tip. The only reason I am considering the wait for the TAL is it's reputation. It would be great to get some feedback from those who have used the scopes.

I would wait on the Tal if i were you. With the Tal you get excellent optics, a Crayford focuser, one of the best finderscopes out there and minimal false colour. Just my opinion though. Oh, and i nearly forgot, its gorgeous to look at.

If moon & planets is your primary concern, you could consider either of the 127mm Maks. Both Skywatcher and Celestron have models available with tracking for the same price as the non tracking refractors. Performance on moon and planets would be very similar.

I am a dedicated planetary observer and use an excellent 5" APO.

HOWEVER .......

I used to own a Skywatcher 8" F/6 Dobsonian which was fantastic on the Moon and Planets and cost a fraction of the APO !!

In terms of bang for buck and optical performance you cannot go wrong with a Dobsonian and it will outperform all of the scopes you mention.

HTH

Thanks everyone, just managed to get back online. Well for better or worse I made a decision earlier today...... I bit the bullet and ordered the Celestron Omni 120 XLT from FLO had the TAL been available it may have been different. I have been messing around for months and the TAL would have been at least another six months, (no doubt there is already a queue of prospective purchasers and I do not want to face another round of price increases) who knows where we will be in 6 months! I discounted a Dob in the early stages as I intend to use the scope terrestrially but thanks for the thought.

I feel relaxed and happy with the choice and the reasons behind it. So roll on when the BIG boxes arrive......we can all look forward to cloudy skys.....SORRY!:eek:

Sure you'll have great viewing with that set-up once it's arrived and the skies have cleared - about a week after arrival normally :eek:.

Be sure to do a write-up/first light report so we can all share in the excitement of unpacking those boxes.

Good luck with the celestron - the C8 is supposed to be a good scope but I understand there are supply issues at the moment. I am being told it will be end of June before the UK distributor has them back in stock.

Archived