Narrowband

Electronic Filter Wheels

Hi learned colleagues,

Does anyone have any recommendations for electronic Filter Wheels?

I currently have an old Tru-Tek Custom wheel and hand controller which is great in the field but I can't get it upgraded to take 54mm faceplates to connect to my Artemis 11002.

I am therefore considering a new wheel which can connect via a 54mm threaded fitting.

Contenders seem to be a new Tru-Tek, Starlight Xpress or Atik EFW2 but I haven't used any of them, does anyone have any real world comments as a user?

Cheers

Hey, you went for the 11 meg! Nice one!!

A friend had a hard time getting the Tru Tech software to work and he is pretty computer savvy. He got there in the end but was a bit cheesed by the whole thing. Can't offer any other insight than that though.

Olly

When I do go from manual to electronic I will be going with the atik EFW2, everything else from atik just works out the box so this should be the same.. :eek:

On the face of it the Atik would make sense as the camera is Atik and the software for capture is current Atik, but the EFW2 is still being developed and no-body is offering it at the moment with a 54mm connection (although Atik say it is capable).

Olly,

Got an offer I couldn't refuse but the Large chip and wide field are causing issues.....

Cheers

Different sized cameras have different connections. Most are probably T-Threaded as the chip is smaller than that but the 11000 has a huge chip and has a 54mm connection which is way larger than the T-Thread size which I think is 42mm??

As I said above, the spec does say it has 54mm openings which is great. But even on the flow website it comes with a 2" nose and t-thread back. It is also quite a bit dearer than the starlight and even the Tru-Tek and I haven't found anyone selling spare discs yet (although again I'm sure this could be ordered specially). As it is a new product these options will surely become more available with time.

I like Atik and this is definately under consideration, I'm just looking to find out what others are using and if there are any problems with specific filter housings etc. on different wheels.

Cheers

Archived