Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

#astroparty

For those who don't twitter, @VirtualAstro (@AdrianWest Creator of #Meteorwatch & writer for Universe Today) is organising an event in October.

Not many details yet, but he's planning it for October 23rd running for 7 nights.

Keep an eye on things here - Twitter

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It grew to quite a size under Darren's management. If I remember it was moved to October because he needed the entire site but the owners were not keen to do that in August. I hope to attend this one as it is quite local but it is during school half-term so it won't be easy.

Indeed...Darren did an awesome job on the previous ones...and now with Adrian, it should go stellar! They are aiming at a "Glastonbury" of the star party world with this one..

School half term is one reason for the dates, hopefully families/kids will be able to attend too.

Indeed...Darren did an awesome job on the previous ones...and now with Adrian, it should go stellar! They are aiming at a "Glastonbury" of the star party world with this one..

School half term is one reason for the dates, hopefully families/kids will be able to attend too.

As much as I'd love them to, I don't think there's a chance my family will attend with me. Going to limit me to the last weekend and a mad dash (3.5 hours) down south after work on the Friday!

But it is my birthday just before so I think I can earn a pass out :eek:

I doubt my family will attend either but I hope to at least pop up for the day.

They are aiming at a "Glastonbury" of the star party world with this one..

I'll pack some wellies and a cagoule :eek:

Nick, I understand Adrian is promoting it but whose event is it? Who are the organisers? The Salisbury Star Party started here on SGL but things have changed somewhat since then.

So is Darren not involved with this at all now?

Looks like Darren and Adrian running it together.

Indeed...Darren did an awesome job on the previous ones...and now with Adrian, it should go stellar!

Hmm, what a time to be swapping my caravan for a tent.......the weather at Salisbury should be ok, but the skies will be better at Kielder......if it stops raining :eek:

Apologies for the delay in announcing the next SSP event, but as im sure you are all aware I have been busy behind the scenes making this the most succesful event this year.So here goes........

Get ready for the Glastonbury of StarParty's with a Stellar line up of speakers already confirmed. Activities to suit all age groups and interests.

More details to follow but here is the initial press release from www.meteorwatch.org ...( Just a heads up guys we already have several hundred people interested in this.

SGL community will have 5 days grace period. We will put the Salisbury Star Party hosting Astroparty booking form on SGL for a period of 5 days prior to putting it live to the general public. So far we have several hundred people showing interest via Meteorwatch.org and Twitter, so if you want to guarantee a pitch, you'll have 5 days from the SGL site going live to book before it goes live to the general public

So Here you go. Feast your eyes and I hope to see the regulars there :eek:

SSP hosts AstroParty 2011

In celebration of its 5th year, the Salisbury Star Party will be hosting AstroParty with 7 days of Astronomy activities for people of all levels of interest and ability. All are welcome and those who attend will enjoy dark skies, a fantastic location, great company and lots and lots of fun. The organisers intend to make the Astro Party one of the biggest and best astronomy events in 2011 and beyond.

Venue:

The event will be held in a lovely and spacious campsite in the pretty village of Sixpenny Handley in the glorious Wiltshire countryside, (an area of outstanding natural beauty) with dark skies and excellent facilities including a large cafe/ conference area.

The site is located within 300m of the Village High Street. There are a variety of shops, including General Stores/Newsagents, Butchers, Post Office, Gift Shop and also a Public House. The village church backs on to the campsite, which adds a little more of that country atmosphere to the venue.

The historic City of Salisbury and the market towns of Blandford Forum, Wimborne Minster, Shaftesbury and Ringwood are all easily reached within 30 minutes drive.

If you aren’t keen on camping, there are local B&B’s and hotels etc in the surrounding area.

Activities:

Star Party – Running for all of the 7 nights with around 70 to 100 experienced astronomers at its core, the Star Party is the main part of the event, so bring your kit if you have any, join in and take advantage of observing and imaging with a large group, whatever your level of experience? You don't even need to bring a telescope, just use your eyes.

Imaging World Record – More info coming soon?

Inflatable Planetarium Shows – Big planetariums with big shows all topped off with what’s up guides.

Talks – A daily program of talks by famous and experienced people in the world of astronomy.

Tweetup – A social gathering of social media. Twitter and Facebook users meet and tweet with your online friends here.

Tours of the Sky – live and real tours of the sky by experienced astronomers.

Telescope and Equipment Workshops – Ask for advice or get help with astronomical equipment.

Trade Stands – More info and who is coming soon?

Competitions – A raffle for that nice telescope or piece of imaging kit?

Hospitality – There will be a hog roast on the final Saturday, and there is a cafe which is open through the week. We hope to have additional tents where you can warm up, tweetup, get a coffee, have some soup, or somewhere to chill and drink your beer. There is a licensed bar on site and a pub in the village.

More activities and services will be added to the program before the event starts.

A website will be launched shortly where you can look for additional information and book your tickets for the event.

Thanks Darren ;)

Speakers... can we say Damian Peach, Dr Paul Roche, Ninian Boyle, Dr Emily Baldwin...and ...oooh so many more :-)...that's just for starters

Sounds great. But i'd better stock up on artic gear or find a caravan. :eek:

Great season!

You can start in 21 Oct at Peak Star Party up north, drive down for SSP/AstroParty so you'll have a full 10 nights of star partying.

And make maximum use of those cold weather camping gear...

Well done to all the organisers. It sounds like it'll be a great event.

As it's half term I might even get along for a few days :eek:

Pants - just realised the exact dates... Oct 23rd is my wifes birthday and Oct 26th my wedding anniversary - so maybe I'll have to just be there in spirit!

Ant

Archived