Narrowband

HiRes Craters Theo/Tycho+Moretus

johnh

SPX350 F34.2, PGR Flea3, Astrodon red filter.

Seeing was nearly good but not good if you know what I mean, so a few quick captures and they came out quite well with 750/3000 frames stacked with AviStack 1.81.

John.

post-15219-13387760542_thumb.png

post-15219-133877605436_thumb.png

post-15219-133877605449_thumb.png

Yes I know what you mean, and i can see a slight softness that wouldnt be there under better seeing. but that camera John, your 14" and High Focal length is still really a treat on the eye. Hope to try and up my game in the coming months. im getting that chip at some point John. and will try it with a reduced barrel powermate, hopefully under calmish conditions. Your images on lunar. really inspiring to up the Focal length. Nice work.

About as close as you can get without being in lunar orbit.

Superb resolution John, and at f34 steady seeing is a must.

Must be very rewarding getting this quality. I never tire of seeing lunar detail, it has always fascinated me. "Magnificent Desolation"

to quote one Moon Walker :eek:.

Ron.

Thanks everyone, I find Lunar easy when seeing is good or better as software is so good these days and I have better control of collimation, getting the good seeing is the difficult thing. With perfect seeing fl could be taken much higher but mosaics are difficult as movement is larger and smooth lava has little detail, optimum fl for larger mosaics is probably 8-10 meters but its great to push the limits for single craters.

Here is an AVI of part of Moretus with wavey seeing but still good showing detail.

John.

Interesting seeing the avi. it gives a feel for being there and seeing your equipment in action live. can learn more from that than the stack i think. im listening to your comments too about mosaics, as its something i do a lot of as you know. Movement is a problem isnt it. and even doing a optimized avi on k3 before avi stack gets it is only a solution of sorts. because the offending movement is chopped off, and you end up losing quite a bit. For smaller scope users. ( im thinking 8 to 10" here ) maybe the 8 meters mark might be the best. im going to experiment on what your saying. i happen to agree 100% it is around that region i think. though im hoping i can push to the upper limit your mentioning John. i also want to do a a full mosaic say at about half phase ( or less ) at high power. how high i can go will depend on conditions, and how long i will have to do it. but stefan slammel, has gone pretty high. im thinking maybe f20 as a start. its not easy thats for sure. putting the avis on imerge as you go along is a good way to tell if your missing bits. but with me. sometimes the camera doesnt show the first frame ( its a black droppeded frame or something? ) Which is annoying to say the least. as missing bits, i find is the real headach. I may not try untill i have the 618 chip. but if conditions present themselves before then maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the scale on the last image? Would be amazing to superimpose something into it to show. I always thing lunar images look like you're really close to the surface, but it's staggering to thinks some of the things shown here are like mountains!

Great Image John! thanks for sharing and especially for the AVI, I am sure like me many noobs will appreciate seeing that as it takes a while to realise and accept that your AVI can appear 'wobbly' yet still go on to provide an excellent image!

• 2 months later...

Archived