Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a Result!!!

KE400

After sending an email to my local council regarding the street light that is directly over my back garden and how the light pollution was illuminating the whole garden up at night! I was having a whinge to my Dad about them on Friday saying that I haven't even had a reply from them etc.

He then came out with, "I'm sure Rob who lives over the road has something to do with the council, I'll have a word with him next time I see him".

At 3pm today a huuuge council lighting van pulls up and 2 blokes come to my door asking which light do I want sorting haha!!;);)

The offending light now has a metal shield/shroud fitted to it and can't wait to see the difference it makes to my observing!

What a result, needless to say, my Pa will be getting a few pints bought from me :eek:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. :eek: Same happened to me (although I got the site developers who are still around to do it). Just goes to show, if you ask nicely you can get it done, even if it takes months!

That's great mate, well done!

I'd be interested to know if the council have to get the shrouds fabricated to sort our incidents such as this or if these shrouds are readily availlable from the companies who install the street lights.

If the shrouds are easy to get hold of it might be easier for the coucil to say 'yes' to the rest of us!

All the best Steve

Just goes to prove its not what you know, it's who you know! Your dad definitely deserves something for that one! :eek:

Exactly! Still no word from the shower in Colchester yet about the strobe light that covers the town at night. It's a shame astronomy isn't a cash rich business - we might have a lobby group if it were. ;)

"I'd be interested to know if the council have to get the shrouds fabricated to sort our incidents such as this or if these shrouds are readily availlable from the companies who install the street lights."

Having spoken to the 2 guys this afternoon, it seems that the street lighting dept carry these shields/shrouds in their vans and they are ready available, not specifically fabricated individually.

Even though the weather here is raining and no chance of getting out tonight with my kit, I'll still be out to see how much of a difference it has made. I had an orange glowing garden to deal with before this so looking forward to seeing a difference. :eek:

Friends in high places, huh?! Good news! :eek:

With the amount of people who request shielding, it makes you wonder why the council don't fit them as standard.

Good point that especially when you consider how many people moan about them keeping them awake at night......

Congratulations on a good outcome to your LP problems. Do you have any pics Kev. I have recently been in touch with the council making complaints about 2 st lights over looking my garden. It will be interesting to see what they did to your lights to see if the same will work for me as I could make suggestion when they finally come out.

Thanks for the pictures Kev! Unfortunately unless they use that shield to throw at the light breaking it , it would be of no use for my situation :eek: Hope it works out for you as at least they have made an effort to do something.

Just a quick update, I was out last night, the shield/shroud has made a big difference, I can now look at that part of the sky now with no orange haze! It hasn't stopped the LP illuminating from the side of it so have requested that he has another word and they paint that side of the lamp to block the remaining LP. I'm still happy with the big improvement but I might as well try pushing my luck and getting it all blocked haha, "shy bairns get no sweets" and all that...............

Inspired by your post I wrote to my council last night and have just had an e-mail back to say that my request has been passed on to the street lighting team for action! Amazed to get a response within 24 hours!

Looking at your photo though that wouldn't help for my back garden as the light is the other way round and would need the shroud on the front!!!

Here's hoping anyway

Simon

Archived