stargazine_ep43_banner.thumb.jpg.ea2a27954a074b4478d83359648ce4e2.jpg

Sharper image while looking away

Last weekend i was outside observing.

For the first time i found the ring nebula in Lyra.

I could see the fuzzy ring, but i found that when looking directly at the object it almost disappeared.

When looking at stars above the object i could see the nebula becoming sharp showing almost as on pictures (just without color)

What could have caused this. I found it very wierd that i had to look away from the object to actualy observe it

Another little trick is to tap your telescope while looking at the object, a very faint object will appear slightly brighter by doing so.

Another little trick is to tap your telescope while looking at the object, a very faint object will appear slightly brighter by doing so.

A great little trick that I've definitely found useful :eek:

Interesting wiki article, I find (being right eyed) my av is much better if I look at the bottom left of the field, moving the scope slightly helps too.

my av is much better if I look at the bottom left of the field

It seems we all have different AV 'sweet spots'. ;) Objects pop in much better for me when i look to the lower right of the target. I've also noticed that our eye's natural blind spot can make things suddenly vanish in the eyepiece... now you see it, now you don't. :eek:

This is why DSO hunting is an art, not (just) a science. As you gain experience, you become much better at getting the most out of your eyes. For me looking above and to the right of an object gives best result. Rather than tapping the scope I prefer to use fiddle with the tracking rate (flick the 16x button). This prevents my scope from oscillating too wildly, but does get the DSO moving in the FOV.